• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding a 80mm fan to a stock 478 heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dandelion

Registered
Cooling problems in my Dell 8250

Does anybody know of an adaptor that will allow me to add an 80mm fan to a stock socket 478 heatsink. This heatsink does not have a fan on it currently, it is just a bare heatsink with no clips or anything. Should I just buy a stock heatsink off ebay with the stock fan on it? Do those allow you to replace the fan? I need somethin besides the passive cooling thats on my P4 now. I recently put a 9800 pro (aka heater) in my rig and it's drivin my temps through the roof. Even with the Arctic Cooler I put on it.

The rear case exhaust fan seems to be pulling air from off of the 9800 pro which then goes over my p4 heatsink through a vent and out the back of the case. After a few minutes even at idle doing this the rear exhaust fan really starts to wind up and goes into overdrive vaccum mode. It's way to loud and I need help.

ps I am getting a 120mm Panaflo for a side intake since I have no intakes now (this is a Dell 8250 heat-trapper). I'm just gonna drill some holes in the bottom side of the case (near the front) and slap it on. I hope that will solve some of my problems. But I'm afraid I will still be having the neverending heat issues with the 9800 pro, and my passive P4 cooling.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
the dells usually have a duct did you remove the duct or something? what are your temps? if the heatsink design is similar to the one in my 8100 im not sure you can stick a fan on the heatsink.

You can get a standard Intel heasink mounting bracket to replace the Dell bracket or remove the Dell bracket and use a bolt on heatsink. If you want to use the Dell heatsink, you can try attaching a fan with sheet metal screws between the fins. You can also drill and tap the heatsink base to accept regular threaded screws. You have to cut the screws where they fit flush with the base.

stan03 said:
the dells usually have a duct did you remove the duct or something? what are your temps? if the heatsink design is similar to the one in my 8100 im not sure you can stick a fan on the heatsink.

No the duct is in place, I just don't like the design. It pulls all the air going out of the case (except for the psu fan) over the cpu heatsink which was never a problem when I only had one hdd, 256 mb pc1066 and a mx440 vid card. Now I have 2 HDD's, 768 mb pc1066 and a 9800 pro in there. The rear fan winds up under no load conditions after only about 15 minutes it's goin all Hoover on me, whining away like a 5 year old. It's loud. So I'm just tryin to fix the build up of heat problem. I was wondering if I should just remove the duct and put a 80mm Panaflo directly on the heatsink. Then I was gonna replace the rear case fan with a 92mm L1A Panaflo to hopefully quiet things down more.

The intake fan is what I'm tryin first though. Just to see how much that helps.

fhanderson said:
You can get a standard Intel heasink mounting bracket to replace the Dell bracket or remove the Dell bracket and use a bolt on heatsink. If you want to use the Dell heatsink, you can try attaching a fan with sheet metal screws between the fins. You can also drill and tap the heatsink base to accept regular threaded screws. You have to cut the screws where they fit flush with the base.

Would one of the OEM heatsink/fan combos that are all over ebay work? Do I need any special mounting brackets for the Dell mobo, or will it connect up just like a "regular" mobo?

I think I might just try some kind of mod like you are talking about with metal screws and the likes. Might be the cheapest way to go.

fhanderson said:
You have to replace the Dell heatsink mounting bracket with an Intel bracket. Then you can use a standard intel heatsink. Look under "Motherboard/ACcessories" here:
http://www.centrix-intl.com/
Heatsinks here:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e...sf=category/op=eq/se=Surplus.html?id=ymqEds8E
You may be able to pick one in the Classifieds forum.

Thats what I was afraid of, Dell and all their "special" parts. Thanks a lot for your help. You saved me from buying a $9 heatsink/fan I couldn't mount anyway (without buying somethin else). I'll just figure a way to mount an 80mm onto the heatsink if I decide to get rid of the duct.

are you sure than the heatsink is the stock intel just with the fan taken off? cause dell does use lots of "unique" parts.

Back