• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paitence is a virtue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

austinbmxnig

The x800xt is impossible to find and all i have is a ge force 2 becuase i killed my 9800pro..........all i've been playing is counter strike and the thing still has some video lag when vertical sync is on... and i want a next-gen graphics card and if i had the choice i would get the x800xt but i really can't wait too much longer or im gonna lose it...6800gt?!??!

They perform similarly in Direct X games but the 6800 series outperforms the x800 counterpart in OpenGL. If I wouldn't have had to get a new PSU to get a 6800 I'd have gotten one.

why not save money and get another 9800Pro? for some reason theese next gen cards don't have me chomping at the bit to get one (usually I'm all over new hardware) perhaps it's the fact that no game has stressed my 9800Pro to unplayable levels yet.

If you want to play Doom 3 everyone says 6800 GT. I got an X800Pro because I fried my 9800XT and let me tell there is a huge difference between the two cards. Nvidia does have OpenGL down better than ATI but I don't anticipate any problems running Doom 3 with my system. I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of the next generation cards. 12am, the one thing I love about this generation of card is the fact that they don't get to thermonuclear temps. My X800Pro is cool to the touch under a load while my 9800XT was so hot you could feel the heat without touching it at idle. Not to mention the fact that my X800Pro is roughly 40 percent faster too. There's something to be said for cranking up all your AA and AF settings in your video card and running current games at high resolutions like glass.

meh, to each thier own, most games I run 16x12 or 12x96 with 4xaa and 8xaf and it runs like glass aswell, except farcry wich is done at 1024x768 2xaa 4xaf and it looks swell to me. I have a vga silencer strapped onto the 9800Pro so the heat issues are pretty much a non factor.

Man if you haven't had your x800xt on order for awhile, then good luck getting one. The news from ATI is that you can wait untill mid october. Hey, just in time for my birthday.

well..i would get another 9800pro but it seems silly when i had that thing since it first came out.....if im buying a new card i might as well go all out on it instead of just getting what i had before considering the new technology is twice as fast. I would really enjoy a x800xt but i'll probably snap by october becuse i haven't ordered anything and there is no telling what will be out ( or soon to be released) in october....

im thinkin i can't lose with the 6800gt

wait wait....which card is crazier (better) ultra or GT....the nvidia site isn't very clear but im pretty sure the ultra is a higher performer...........also is availability any better on the ultra?

The ultra is better but the availablility isn't as good as the GT. There has been a little shortage of Ultras since the initial release.

hmmmmmmmmm..........I guess i can't really lose if i got my hands on an Ultra..i mean how big of a difference could there be in HL2 honestly

tjr1973 said:
My X800Pro is cool to the touch under a load while my 9800XT was so hot you could feel the heat without touching it at idle. Not to mention the fact that my X800Pro is roughly 40 percent faster too. There's something to be said for cranking up all your AA and AF settings in your video card and running current games at high resolutions like glass.

The x800 series simply has a better cooling unit than the stock 9xxx series.....

In regards to the first question: The GT is the best value out of all of the cards. I think the x800 pro is a great card but if you do have interest in DOOM III then the GT is the way to go as it is cheap and can easily be o/c'd past 6800 Ultra speeds. However, The x800 series will most likely have some sort of advantage over the NVIDIA lineup when HL2 rolls around, but of course that is mere speculation on my behalf....

I feel your pain of the GF2, I am stuck with a GF2U until the end of Aug. By that time I am planning on getting a 6800gt or NU depending on how much money I have by then.
So if D3 is what you want I would go for the 6800Gt since Ultras seem to be way overpriced and 6800Gt seem to be closer to suggested retail price right now. One thing to be careful about though is cooling on the GT if you plan to oc its single slot doesn't deal with the heat so well so you might have to get an aftermarket cooler for it.

What are you worried about? Two of my coworkers got the 6800GT, it has one power lead (no need to have an uber power supply for the 6800Ultra), but that one lead does limit oc'ability (very slightly). It'll own.. regardless of the game you play. Not to mention it has the technology to do EVERYTHING out there.

You have no worries getting that card.

BTW, on replaced a 9800Pro (that I'm using now), and the other was using a 256mb 9600XT... and they're both HIGHLY IMPRESSED.

-Frank

Back