• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp run as box problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pRS317

after installing norton system works 2003 pro on my laptop, i've had a rather annoying problem with the run as box popping up for every program i try to run. the first part of the text reads: "which user account do you want to use to run this program."

it has two main options: "current user" and "the following user", as well as a sub-option under current user which is "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity."

i've scoured the options in norton and did several searches, both with no luck. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check to make sure the following Key is present in the Registry...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | CLSID | {00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} | shellex | MayChangeDefaultMenu

Last edited:
yes, that folder is there, there is one key in the folder which is as follows:

default reg_sz (value not set)

should there be a value?

No, that looks good. One other thing you could try in the interim (and you shouldn't have to do this) is to right click the executable and select "Run as". In the "Run As" dialog (this is the same dialog that appears when you try to install the program normally), click "The following user:" radio button, and select the correct "User name" and "Password"...be it Administrator, a user with administrative priveleges, etc. This will allow you to at least install the program(s) until we can figure out why the "Run as" dialog is appearing.

Last edited:
Not to butt in on the subject, but it sounds like Norton Systemworks has been on the romp with your login account rights.

I'm sure there are some settings for Norton systemworks that can be switched of for this problem to disappear.

I've seen this problem with certain anti-virus environments, where you had to register programs with the local anti-virus setup, in order to run them without the run-as pop-up.

Cheers, Flix

redduc, i've never created any passworded accounts. neither the admin, or the default account require any type of password to use. i can't use the second option for log in because it gives an error message saying that no blank passwords are allowed.

flixotide, i know what you mean about registering programs with the software...kind of like zone alarm, right? i can't find any such settings, though, and i'm surprised i can't find anything like this on a web search.

i uninstalled norton and the problem persists. it seems i may have to reformat and install to get rid of this problem...it's really that annoying. everytime i open a new browser window or even something as simple as access the calander in the tray, i get that run as box :\

Give this a try if you haven't already reinstalled...Log on to the computer as Administrator, or log on as a user with administrative permissions. Type services.msc in the Run box | In the details pane, right-click the Secondary Logon service, and then click Properties | In the Properties dialog box, set Startup type to Automatic, and then click Start | After the computer starts the service, click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

I know this may not be related, but some of the newer scanners have a privacy feature that acts like admin control in a way. My Mcafee has privacy service and I tried it out, it acted just like what is being reported. Not sure on norton, been so long since I had the 2003 in this box, and I never installed the privacy feature. Just another angle to look at....

Back