• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up a Sound System, need advice please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

Okay so I'm trying to put together a sound system for my "orange sig" computer. I've always just been satisfied with onboard audio but I have this 600buck reciever just sitting on a shelf and all it's doing is aging. It's a Sony A/V 6.1 receiver. Anyway I'm wondering what I shold do. Should I get a soundcard, i.e. a Audigy 2 ZS and just run everything through that, or should I get a sound card and run everything from that through the reciever. Or should I just run the onboard through the reciever. Also speaker recommendations would be nice. Thanks!

I would suggest using either the coaxial or optical digital output on your onboard, and have your Sony reciever do the digital to analog conversion.

How much would you like to spend on speakers? How loud do you listen? Are you wanting a 5 and a subwoofer or just a stereo pair?

wanting to use every channel, so 6 and a sub. I've already got a few sets of 2.1 powered comp speakers that I've been using. I just have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm looking to spend around 250 give or take on the speakers...but then again I don't really know what speakers cost...thus me having a nice reciever that has never been used.

Myhre said:
wanting to use every channel, so 6 and a sub. I've already got a few sets of 2.1 powered comp speakers that I've been using. I just have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm looking to spend around 250 give or take on the speakers...but then again I don't really know what speakers cost...thus me having a nice reciever that has never been used.

Well, if you want a 6.1 system, you might want to budget more than 250 dollars. Many users on this forum really like the HK-6 speakers which can be bought from harmandirect on ebay for less than 100 a pair. You could buy 3 pairs of those and a subwoofer.

Yeah, if it needs to be more than 250 then that's not really a problem. I just want something that isn't specifically tied to my computer and can be used for other audio applications as well. That's why I want to use a reciever instead of just a sound card. Are those only on ebay or elsewhere as well?

Myhre said:
Yeah, if it needs to be more than 250 then that's not really a problem. I just want something that isn't specifically tied to my computer and can be used for other audio applications as well. That's why I want to use a reciever instead of just a sound card. Are those only on ebay or elsewhere as well?

Im not exactly sure. Maxvla could help you out, as I think he bought them at the HK factory store.

There are plenty of other choices though, im sure others will come up with other ideas too. :)

Grab 5 of those.. hehe..

http://audioshop.on.ca/dahlquistsurround.htm

Kidding kidding!

Check out the Flaunce (not to be confused with Naunce.. I can never get them straight.. well, it's the one without the Baby Grand speakers)..on ebay. The streems are also suppose to be good budget speakers as well. See google for reviews.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5710624651&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61375&item=5710442847&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Now for my disclaimer - I have not actually listened to them before, but the Flaunce's are on my next to try list because they interest me. Both have gotten pretty good reviews on the net (see google) so I think they would be great entry level speakers.

Gah, there was another company that had decent cheap subs, but I can't remember that. I'll post when they come to me.

On a slightly more spammy note, I have a pair of dahlquist qx6 for sale.. but they would take up more than half your budget. :)

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/dahlquist_qx6.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

it is harmon kardon direct. yes, it involves bidding. but, unlike most things on ebay you do not use paypall nor do you deal with a unknown seller. they have 10,000 sales and a 99.6% positive feedback rating. after you win the auction they send you an email with a link that takes you to the Harmon Kardon website. you then place your order at the price of what you won the auction via credit card. package ships same day or day after order.

the HK 6 set usually goes for ~75$ shipped. 2 sets for 150$ isnt bad at all. you could use the left over $ out of your budget to get a subwoofer. i doubt you could find many sets that will beat them in that price range.

well i guess that it leaves the sub eh?

well it depends on what you want out of the sub, big, thundeous bass, tight clean bass or, just some bass definition. we need to this first so we can start looking for the right sub.

shard said:
well i guess that it leaves the sub eh?

well it depends on what you want out of the sub, big, thundeous bass, tight clean bass or, just some bass definition. we need to this first so we can start looking for the right sub.

tight clean bass with some satisfactional bump.

Back