• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why doesn't nVidia make their own cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Canadian Bacon

Registered
Like the subject line says, I was just wondering why nVidia, unlike ATI, doesn't make their own cards, they contract their designs out to other companies. I know ATI does this as well but they also make their own, and they tend to be really good.

So why doesn't nVidia?

Are you sure ATI makes their own cards; I don't believe they have any fab capacity. Don't they have a deal with TSMC to make them?

well fine they might not "make" their own cards but they still market ATI cards...just wondering why you don't see any nVidia brand cards....they used to back in the geforce 2 and 3 days didn't they?

Mr.Guvernment said:
Sapphire used to make the PCB's for ATI ont sure if they still do though....

They used to, but I'm really not sure anymore anymore either. The Sapphire's used to be almost identical to the retail box ones. Not so much anymore. Maybe nVidia wants to avoid the same thing that 3DFX went through and ultimately caused the downfall of the company.

Bar81 said:
Are you sure ATI makes their own cards; I don't believe they have any fab capacity. Don't they have a deal with TSMC to make them?

TSMC is used to fabricate the chip itself, not the card. TSMC is a semiconductor foundry. I believe that ATi also has their chips fabricated at TSMC.

they make more money by not producing their own cards...no factory/worker/material/equipment/shipping costs...and theres 20+ companies paying nvidia ALOT of money to use their technologies...

and ATi doesnt "make" their own cards...thats like saying the store brand milk at your supermarket was made by them. just because it has their name on it..doesnt mean they made it.

Back