• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF4 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Applepie

hihi
Just switched to watercooling and all temps look fine but the GF4, Ti-4800 SE with a Maze4 on it is acting a bit weird. Seems fine for a while then Q3 stops working, other games that run Open GL works fine. If I at this point reboot the bios screen is all stretched and the first screen that displays just the video card info is scrambled. First I thought it was a memory heat thing because they where insanely hot but after putting a fan there I got the memory temps down to normal but the problem persists. As I said, outstretched boot screens and q3 all scrambeled up are the only symptoms I've found so far. Anyone know whats going on?

whooo it seems to just have been too easy for me to even think about it...
Anyway, I checked to see if the contact between the Maze4 and the GPU was good thinking it just had to be, I mean, I had no real noticabal performance drop in 3dmark2001 so I was pretty sure it was not a heat issue. Sure enough though as I removed the block I saw that contact was only made between block and the corners of the core. Im thinking its some sort of anti crush thing with the GF4 core. So I have added some more arctic silver and I am now running 3dmark2001 to load the gpu and then test to see if this has helped. I do recall that I though there was a stupidly thick layer of thermal compound on the retail heatsink&fan fthing that was on it. Anyway, I'll post my results soon.

Yep, everything appears to be working fine now. Atleast I've learned one thing: GF4 gpu's can run pretty good with quite bad cooling. =P
When looking closer, I did gain about 150 pointa in 3dmark2001 whit the proper cooling without OCing.

Great! yeah I had a 4200 that ran like it was on fire all the time.I could never get the GPU totally flush with the cooler.It still ran good but it wouldnt overclock.

hmm.... looks like I spoke too soon..... Im now sure that I got as gooa a mount as possible but Im still getting the same problem....
Acctually, after playing around with some stuff Im starting to think that even though the bad contact set my back a couple of hundred points in 3dmark the big problem might be with the monitor it self... gonna try with another one 2morrow and we'll see what happens.

Back