• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD64 2800+ @ 2475MHz 1.60v Stock cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigaHertzAddict

I'm new to this AMD 64 world, so I figured I share my results with you guy(and girls) to see if this is expected or above average. I have a AMD 64 2800+ newcastle core 512k. I'm running it at 2475MHz(9x275) with 1080MHz bus speed. With 1.60v using stock cooling. I'm running it on a Abit KV8 PRO.
I'm getting a load temp of 67C, but it's 100% stable in prime 95. As we all know abit motherboards report high temps always, is this the case with AMD motherboards too? and is it running to hot? What do you guys think? I can probably hit 2.6GHz with a aftermarket cooler or something. Also, what the SAFE max I can go on the voltage? thanks for you help.

If 67 is your real temp. I'd back it off right now or get better cooling. 1.65 is the max voltage that AMD says, but some people are running up to 2 volts. They are on extreme cooling though.

NiTrO bOiE said:
If 67 is your real temp. I'd back it off right now or get better cooling. 1.65 is the max voltage that AMD says, but some people are running up to 2 volts. They are on extreme cooling though.

well this is the temp the abit motherboard is showing, how do I know if it's the REAL REAL temp? The heatsink feels very warm, but not burning hot.

Thats a real nice overclock. My 2800 maxes out at like 9x257 or so. But thats with me already pushing like 1.8 volts or more into it.

if your cpu temp is any where near or above 55C, and your heatsink isnt hot, i think you should have to remount your heatsink to make sure its on right.

You can never know the true temperature of an abit motherboard. Many people automatically say it's 10C higher than what it really is, but no one really knows for sure. People have tried sticking probes near the core and heatsink but thats still not an accurate reading.

Really should get better cooling or back it down a bit cause that's pretty hot.

I can hit those speeds with my 3500 939 at 9x275 too, but for now I have it at 10x245 since my memory can't overclock much anyways. It's a newcastle core of course. Have you tried lower voltages at that speed or is that the min? I was able to hit my current speed at around 1.55 but I think my mobo overvolts, MBM5 says 1.57.

How is your case's ventelation? A thermalright slk-948u would work great for you, just make sure you get a high pressure fan.

GigaHertzAddict said:
I'm new to this AMD 64 world, so I figured I share my results with you guy(and girls) to see if this is expected or above average. I have a AMD 64 2800+ newcastle core 512k. I'm running it at 2475MHz(9x275) with 1080MHz bus speed. With 1.60v using stock cooling. I'm running it on a Abit KV8 PRO.
I'm getting a load temp of 67C, but it's 100% stable in prime 95. As we all know abit motherboards report high temps always, is this the case with AMD motherboards too? and is it running to hot? What do you guys think? I can probably hit 2.6GHz with a aftermarket cooler or something. Also, what the SAFE max I can go on the voltage? thanks for you help.

That is a nice setup for a 2800+ NewCastle.

What stepping (five-letter and four-letter code) and week, if you have that info?

What memory modules are you using, memory bus frequency (1:1 or 5:6 or ...) and memory timing setting?

madman22 said:
if your cpu temp is any where near or above 55C, and your heatsink isnt hot, i think you should have to remount your heatsink to make sure its on right.

The heatsink is mounted correctly, at default speeds (1.8GHz) I get like 54C with the case open, but the heatsink is cooling to the touch, I think the abit is reporting the wrong temp, like when I had a IC7 MAX3 it was reporting 10C higher than my Asus P4P800.

Goldstandard said:
I can hit those speeds with my 3500 939 at 9x275 too, but for now I have it at 10x245 since my memory can't overclock much anyways. It's a newcastle core of course. Have you tried lower voltages at that speed or is that the min? I was able to hit my current speed at around 1.55 but I think my mobo overvolts, MBM5 says 1.57.

How is your case's ventelation? A thermalright slk-948u would work great for you, just make sure you get a high pressure fan.

my temps are the same with the case open or closed, so my ventelation is pretty good.

It's CG stepping, AX are the last to letters on the CPU. Since I have the CPU installed, it's a pain in the neck to remove it because It gets stuck on the heatsink and I have to pull it out of the socket. I can get give you guys the other info on the CPU. if I removed it again i'll post up the goods.

That is a very nice clock. I need 1.76v for my old CO core to hit 2.5ghz. With better cooling and as long as your motherboard will run a higher HTT than 275 (my VNF3 tops out at 270-275 with double sided ram) you might be able to run 2.6 at 1.7v.

ok I did some temp testing. My Case has a built in Temp probe. So I stuck it on the side of the heatsink, under the heatsink during full load when the abit tool says 150F the probe says 102F. Now I realize that the prode isn't acurate since it's on on the side under the heatsink, but if it says 102F it's 102F at that spot, can the core be 50F higher? what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Thats very nice for that CPU, I think that mobo may show temps to high with the NewCastle. If its prime stable its not to hot. If you can back the voltage down & it dont drop much I would say it is reading high.

But you can never be to carefull witch it sounds like you are doing. Are you getting that probe in far enough to be touching the die, if so thats probably a good reading.

Anyway there is not much you can do but trust your judgement on it. It sounds like its OK. But what ever temp it is a better sink will make it do better.

Good Luck.

jess1313 said:
Thats very nice for that CPU, I think that mobo may show temps to high with the NewCastle. If its prime stable its not to hot. If you can back the voltage down & it dont drop much I would say it is reading high.

But you can never be to carefull witch it sounds like you are doing. Are you getting that probe in far enough to be touching the die, if so thats probably a good reading.

Anyway there is not much you can do but trust your judgement on it. It sounds like its OK. But what ever temp it is a better sink will make it do better.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the nice reply. No I didn't get the probe to touch the core, the probe is on the side of the heatsink.

I went from the system below in the Sig to this, you think it's a good trade off? By the way I'm running the memory at 450MHz 2.5/4/6 2.65v It's mushkin PC3200 2/3/2 1GB (512MBx2)

GigaHertzAddict said:
I went from the system below in the Sig to this, you think it's a good trade off? By the way I'm running the memory at 450MHz 2.5/4/6 2.65v It's mushkin PC3200 2/3/2 1GB (512MBx2)

Yes IMO I think so, the a64s will be sweat when the 64 OS is ready.

Back