• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screensaver rendering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DuckOnBike

Registered
A simple question I've always wanted an answer to: when the monitor is shut down after the windows designated time, does the card continue to render the screensaver in the background?

I ask because I've always been wary about using 3d screensavers in case they just keep taxing my graphics card in the background unnecessarily. Anyone know?

I know I could just find out by testing the temperature after the monitor had shut off for some time, but I'm lazy!

Thanks!

Its not going to hurt the card, if anything, its helping the monitor, or you could be like me and just turn the monitor off.

By the way, no, its not rendering, because its all ready rendered (I assume).

Now I'm just confused.

Let me clarify: I'm wondering if my video card continues to draw the complex 3d screensaver after windows shuts off the monitor. If it does, that means that the card is working unnecessarily for long periods of time. But if it's smart and shuts the screensaver down when it shuts down the monitor it's all good.

Interesting question. Not even sure what happens when windows shuts off the monitor. But, just for reference, if you've got a fairly recent monitor, having a screensaver at all is pointless for what they were designed for. Monitors nowadays don't "burn in" like the old ones used to. This is due to advancements in CRT's and in videocards themselves. They just naitively refresh the screen often enough to prevent the "burn in" that was common so many years ago.

Back