• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastametz

I'm on a p4 2.4 and running Prime95 torture test it gets to 62c and returns an error after like 2 minutes. I often experience BSODs after running Halo or something for a while, can i blame the cpu temps for these windows crashes?

How are your fans setup? How many are there? What motherboard are you using. I mean an ASUS board reporting 62 C and an ABIT board reporting 62 C (more like 52 C really) is a huge difference. Still though the temps are pretty high. The first thing you should do is remove that HS and rip off the thermal pad and put some thermal paste on it.

Some system specs might help out a little here 2.4A? 2.4b? C? AE? Might be your CPU, might be your RAM. Might be any number of things. Too little information to even suggest what direction to start looking in.

lol i was running torture test again and replying and it restarted in the middle of it. (cpu/mobo had reached 63c/55c)

okay this is a crappy-*** case it's got one case fan in the very back and then there's a vent in the front, and then there's this stupid duct thing (no fan) supposedly sucking cpu heat out the side. It has a 512 stick of corsair xsm pc3200 LL ram, 1 hard drive, 2 opticals, and a floppy. There is a geforce 4 ti 64 mb in it, and a modem in it. That's about it.

I don't know the cpu stepping (i'm not an intel guy and i didn't build this thing)

Last edited:
and its an ABIT BE7-RAID.

And did you say that ABIT temp readouts are inaccurate?

MBM 5 says cpu/mobo is 47c/40c idle, 62/55 load

Last edited:
Mastametz said:
and its an ABIT BE7-RAID.

And did you say that ABIT temp readouts are inaccurate?

MBM 5 says cpu/mobo is 47c/40c idle, 62/55 load

yea they say some read as high as 10°C. that does sound high though for temps even if they are off... have you tried reseating the heatsink? also part of the problem might be the thermal pad. I would go with either the zalman cnps-7000 or the thermalright sp-94. they also have the new xp-120 coming out soon.

linky: http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=HS-004.

what about the powersupply? Fixing it for someone? might tell him to invest in some more fans and better heatsink as well as AS5. just my 2cents

If you want to get serious:

• Cut out the fan grills to your case
  • Clean up the wiring in your case

If you want to spend a little money:

• Deffinately get more fans
  • Look into a new heatsink
  • Try to use better thermal compound

Quigsby said:
If you want to get serious:

• Cut out the fan grills to your case
  • Clean up the wiring in your case

If you want to spend a little money:

• Deffinately get more fans
  • Look into a new heatsink
  • Try to use better thermal compound

I say you do all of those listed =) Itll help a lot, and for not that much money at all.

so i got off that craptastic thermal pad as best i could, put AS5 on it, added 2 case fans (only had enough 3pin spots on mobo to plug in one of them), and its gone down like 3 degrees. It's still way too hot, i'm gonna get a new hs/ for it.

Also, i dunno wtf hs/f its got, it's something thermaltake, i don't even think they sell it @ newegg.

edit** It is a 400watt Allied psu, and there is barely any wires in it to clean up lol. Its practically an empty case.

Last edited:
Your case temps look awfully high. a CPU temp 10 degrees hotter than your case temp isn't THAT out of the ordinary.

First thing I suggest you do (if you want to have a little fun for free) is to mount a fan on that duct across from your processor (chop it up, drill screw holes etc etc) I built my brother a computer for $200, (he allready had a monitor/keyboard/speakers/mouse) so I just put in an Asus a7n8x, 256 megs of ram, Athlon 2000+xp, a Maxtor 40 gig drive, wireless lan, and a Geforce 2 TI (came to like $200) I allready had some of the parts. But anyway all I had was one spare case fan so I put that infront.. CPU temps were hitting 63 load, about 52 idle.. not acceptable. So I cut a hole across from his processor and dropped it in (no ducting or anything) new temps with no other case fans besides the PSU are 35 idle 43 load =). He's happy, I'm happy and most importantly the processor is happy. With a 20C drop just from a cheap case mod like that.. pFFt I'd say go try it. Plus he really likes it because he can finally see the LED fan.

Back