• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*GASP* it cant be! a problem with windows?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

copper_top

Im trying to install windos xp pro on my brothers computer. However, everytime it starts copying files off the cd I get all of these wierd errors about it not being able to copy certain .dll files and that the cd might be scratched.

His system was working fine before until he got some crazy @$$ virus (at least i think it was a virus). The only thing to do was reformat and reinstall windows. But now i cant reinstal windows. Ive tried the disk out on my computer and it works fine. Ive put a new cd drive in his computer, same problem. Ive put a new harddrive in his computer, same problem.

Is this some kinda hardware failure? Or am I jsut cursed?
Whats up with this crap?

http://unattended.msfn.org/

Now i've mentioned that, I can repeat the stuff in it without sounding like I am telling you to do something dodgy.

Got a CD Writer in your computer? Got Roxio Easy Cd Creator or Nero? (You may be able to use something else) If so, you can do this for a quick fix, as windows should have no problem pulling the files off the CD, but the installer is very problematic and if it's not 100% happy with the files it throws out errors. I had this problem and did this exact same thing I am going to tell you.

First, download this and install, harmless, not a hint of anything dangerous in the form of adware, spyware etc, a very useful program actually.

Now copy the entire contents of the XP CD to a folder on your computer, making sure that 'show hidden files and folders' is checked in 'Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab'

folderoptionsview.jpg

Once copied, run isobuster and point it to the XP CD, and right click on Microsoft Corporation.img like this, and select the top option

pic25.gif

copy that to somewhere you'll remember. It is the file that make the CD bootable!

Now start up your CD burning program and follow this guide after selecting the relevant option for the program you use. If you do not have one of these programs, then you may still be able to burn the CD successfully by readin through this guide and seeing if you have the same options.

Hope this works if you try it.

By the way, yes I do use my own XP DVD now :)

Thanks allot dan. I will try this out today. I really apreciate it. Seeing as how i sold this system to my bro, if i cant get it working ill have to buy it back or give hima new system.

I had the same problem before, All I did was call microsoft and they sent me a new cd. Actually they sent me both the home and pro edtion of Xp. You should give them a call.

the cd is not damaged in any way, i tried it on a different machine and it worked perfect.

....but if your saying that i could get 2 copys of windows for free.....

Andyman902042 said:
It may be a hardware problem. Download memtest86+ and test it.

YOU BEAT ME TO IT :'(
Like the above two I have had this and similiar windowsxp problems that said core files were missing and such, even after reinstalling it like 5 times, turned out to be bad RAM.

whenever i have seen that problem it has always been due to bad sectors on the harddrive. Get the manufactures utility and run a zero fill. Usually fixes it for me.

Last time that happened to me. My hard drive turned out to be dead in about 3 days after and i had to rma it. Like WyrmMaster said, download the utilitiy to check for bad sectors on your hdd asap before something bad happens. *kinda like what's happenign to one of my maxtors right now, i think one of them needs to be rma'ed again*

tried your proccedure dan. no love.

im interested in this memtest program but lets jsut say that a floppy drive is not gonna happen right now. can i put it on a bootable cd? what if i use the floppy emulation in nero?

try it, it may work.

Also, he diddnt say 2 copies of windows for free, just the disks. the licences are the keycodes, and they wont give those out.

Back