• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What UPS unit to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I'm looking into buying a Backup solution since I've been having some odd powerflucuations at my house recently. I'm looking for a mid to high end solution, and I'm somewhat partial to APC. Any suggestions?

Funny you post this, I just got my 700VA APC in yesterday. I bought it on eBay with used guts and new 1-year warrantied batteries for $70 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44963&item=5111270443&rd=1

If your looking for something even bigger the seller also has 1000VA UPS's and rack-mount units. It'll back 450w for almost 6mins, and for something that's $300 shipped on newegg.com, I couldn't be happier.

madcow235 said:
I have a 1400va i got for free and Damn does it own. I can keep my comp on for like 20minutes :)

Model number on that?

My budget is if I like it enough, I'll pay the price tag. A price tag is always the last thing I look at.

My assmption is that I'll need to go with a UPS unit in APC's Network&Server section. There are a lot of different models. Just trying to narrow them down

Last edited:
Xeon duallie w/Antec TruePower 550 EPS12v

Not a thread highjack but same info needed too. I'm after bang for the buck, not cheapest price.

I need one too that will run for several minutes and then shut down the computer after that if power is still off.

That way I can set up my computer to autoboot when power comes back on.

We've also had a few powersurges and dropouts that slammed my system severly and I had to repair some software settings that were zapped. I also lost most of the days FAH folding time while I was at work.

I have 2 APC 650VS's and a APC 1000 that I also bought off eBay with "New batts/used guts" for CHEAP! So far - fantastic! The APC 1000 powers my Main PC, TiVo, and a few fish tank pumps (for FISH - not for water cooling!)

Be aware - these are using "approximated sinewaves" - NOT TRUE SINES - but for 85% of the applications, they work fine. I actually use one of these with a Roland 24 track HD recorder (audio recorder) with NO increase in line AC noise (a good thing - and no point to pay 4X as much for a "True Sine" model IMO)... You should see the UPS system we have here at Fox Sports - a ROOM full of batteries - and a ROOM FULL of Rectifiers/Inverters! Talk about expensive...

Later :cool:

Randyman... said:
I have 2 APC 650VS's and a APC 1000 that I also bought off eBay with "New batts/used guts" for CHEAP! So far - fantastic! The APC 1000 powers my Main PC, TiVo, and a few fish tank pumps (for FISH - not for water cooling!)

Be aware - these are using "approximated sinewaves" ...

Pumps and motors should not be run off approximated sinewave. Many motors will fail to run with this input. Be sure to test your equipment with the UPS in battery mode.

However, stepped-approximation sinewave is very good for a computer.

Bam! Bang! ZZZzZZzzzZzzzz.zz....z..........

Right after I posted here, we lost power suddenly for 15 minutes. I wonder if Pacific Power is playing an Enron game to jack up rates around here?

I gotta get a UPS soon to protect my investment in this system.

I don't think the Fluvals get full speed while on the B/U power, but that is only for a minute or two once every 2 months or so (just to keep me from having to re-sypon the system - 4 LARGE Fluvals with NASY stuff in there - ya know! - only 25 or so watts ea). We have fairly reliable power out here, thankfully. I just hate re-syphoning those pumps when the water level is below the return feed. Yuch!

The APC's I have are the "Switcing" type that leave the AC filtering in place, but only switch to B/U power (and the "Approximated Sine") WHILE in B/U mode. My PC and TiVo don't know the difference anyway ;)

Later :cool:

you know, there was a post in the cyber deals forum...

www.belkin.com

try entering the code 12345 at checkout for half off.

not sure if it will still work though, but if it does maaaaddd cheap!

Dang! I can get that 1200VA unit for $101 shipped using that code 12345 but I'm about $8 shy on my debit card until I can deposit some more cash. Hope it's still good later this week.

How does the Belkins stand up to the APC? I've just always heard APC this and APC that. I know it's stupid, but hey sometimes it's easy to go with what you know, and hard to accept change. I've got my debit card out right now for the 1200Va.

Well I just bought two of the Belkin 1200Va models. THANKS A TON!!! for the coupon code. Heh, 2 for the price of 1, can't beat that. Very Cool! I'm gonna have to start watching Cyber Deals from now on.

yeah i had one apc 500va that kept crappin out on me...

So i bought two 350va ups units from there. If the power goes out, i think 10-15 minutes is enough to shut everything off safely.

Too bad I loaned $100 to my daughter but she needed to pay her car insurance and I'll get it back later this week. I'll be visiting Belkin.com real soon for my UPS half price deal ;)

The Belkin units are very nice... the 1200VA is nice as it has voltage regulation as well. The Bulldog monitoring software is very in depth and usefull. I personally run a smart UPS, the APC SUA1500 and I love it, but I got a VERY good deal on mine. You won't be disappointed with the Belkin's though :D

anyone know how the Enterprise Series 1100VA UPS compares to the 1200va? it's a newer design and looks sleaker(lol , i know it's just a ups).

btw this code has been working forever , so i wouldnt expect it to stop working anytime soon*knocks on wood*

Personally I like a bigger UPS unit. When it comes to batteries bigger equals better. I wouldn't mind if my UPS unit were twice as big as my Tower. In fact....if they built an UPS unit that I have to build a room onto my house to accomidate, well, bring it on :eek:

Neighbor: "Wow, whats the addition for?"
Me : "Bought a new UPS a couple days ago."
Neighbor: "Jeez Man, what'd you need one that big for?"
Me: "Well I decided the electric company was getting a little uppity."
Neighbor: "Wait a sec, you still have to recharge that thing. Hey what the hell is this extension cord doing coming from my house!"

Back