• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to burn out AGP slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeeteeare

Registered
Is it possible to fry an AGP slot with a GPU overclock gone awry? I'm pretty sure I fried my Radeon 9600 Pro, but haven't been able to test it in another rig, or test another AGP GPU in my mobo, due to lack of available parts.

All I know is that my 9600 is dead in my current mobo (K7n2 Delta). By the way, I have a feeling that my insufficient 350W PSU was the culprit in all of this.
Anyone ever had thier AGP slot go south?

We need some more information. How much were you overclocking? What was the AGP voltage were you using. Did you try resetting CMOS and rebooting with stock settings? Can you put your setup in your signature?

I personally have never experienced an AGP slot go south, and the only thing I can think of would be overvolting the slot. Usually it runs on 1.5volts on the newest slots but I upped it to 1.6 on mine for added stability and better overclocking, I don't see how a modest increase of volts would fry it. If your power supply is some cheap thing that can't provide stable power it could have fried a lot more than the AGP slot, have you checked carefully if there is any physical damage to your mobo, like scorching or discoloration?

Yeah, tried all the standard recovery options, to no avail. I was OC'ing it using AtiTool (which I've recently read isn't such a reliable program when it comes to safety) @ 456/318, with the VGA Silencer, and it ran quite stably for about 3 weeks, then all hell broke loose (processor was toasted, and possibly the vid card). I didn't increase the AGP voltage, however. I think it was 1.5v

Checked the mobo and I didn't SEE any signs of damage, and my new 2600 Barton is sailing smooth currently, alongside my new badass Rage 3d handmedown vid card.

On an interesting side note that may or may not be related, after all this happened I noticed that the switch to adjust the fan speed on the VGA Silencer stopped working, meaning that it will now only run at one speed, regardless of the position of the switch. Related? Dunno.

Back