• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are thoroughbreds unlocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hi,

I'm just trying to help my friend oc over msn messenger...

He is new at this, but he doesn't know if his 2700+ is unlocked.
To save him trying, I was wondering do any of you guys know.

Thanks.

Pre week 39 of 03 were unlocked, anything newer than that, are locked. Although they will appear to be unlocked, as there are no cut L1 bridges, they are somehow locked on the die like a intel, and wire tricks in the socket won't help. There is always the possibility that one may have sneaked through unlocked. There is a good possiblity that his may be unlocked, as the 2700 tbred (actually, I think those ar thorntons) was a short lived deal, as the bartons were coming out. Although with a multi of 13, the most your going to take it down is 12.5, without connecting the last L3. That is, if he's shooting for 200+

Oh right.
So there is a chance it could be unlocked.
He has crappy PC2700 ram so his FSB is pretty limited.
He has got an Asrock mobo that isnt' nforce, it isn't even VIA it is some SiS crap.

He just wants a bit more from it.
He is an avid gamer with no source of income.
I keep telling the lazy bast'd to get a job!

All AThlon XP 2700+'s are T-Bred B's, not Thortons.

All new Thortons are locked, however, all 2100+ B's ever made are multiplier unlocked and I'm almost sure that all 2700+'s are as well.

You're friend should simply try booting with another multiplier but this would also depend on the motherboard since 2700+s multi is 13.

13 is high range and some motherboards may have a problem posting low range (12.5 and lower) with it...

Okay so try to get him to lower it.
He has got a crappy SiS ASrock mobo though, would that make a difference?

If he has retail cooling, he won't get very far.

He's at 166 x 13 = 2158.

166 x 13.5 is 2241 which he may or may not be able to do with retail cooling, probably not.

Maybe raise the FSB just a little bit and see.

By the way, 2700+ are almost end of the line T-Breds so it's not like there's a lot of OC room anyway.... people do 2.2-2.3 with them on average, just like with 2100+ Bs.

Last edited:
It's a desktop that can be found only in some OEM machines.

They made it so that OEMs can use PC2700 RAM instead of PC3200 RAM and still put a 3200+ CPU and call it a 3200+ system...

Back