• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

burning movies onto dvds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VortexTk

Registered
I'm looking for a way to burn movie files, avi, mpg, maybe even .ogg! if it's possible, onto dvds. Not images or rips of movies. What format/program or whatever should I look into using to get the job done? I want these to be viewable on a dvd player, if not the normal one, my modded ps2 should be able to play them.

ive bought a dvd planyer like 3-4months ago, and my first dvd i burned took like 2hours to fully complete with all other processes. i said to myself if it takes this long to burn a movie im gonna return this burner and buy something else instead, cause u gotta go through a long processes. so i decided to take a look at some things. first id recommend going to www.dvdrhelp.com they got all the info u need. and also check out ur dvd player ing their site and see what it can play and what it cant. than get MainConcept Mpeg Encoder, this prog does wonders for me with tmpec it takes like 2h to convert a movie while mainconcept does it in 40min for me, now it depends on ur system but u can see in my sig what mines like. then get DVD-Lab thats to author the dvd and make menus and stuff. if u need any help just pm me and ill help ya out, its a easy process once u figure it out. now i can have a good quality dvd burned in like 1h max time. and rdy to be played on the tv.

Well, I went to the site, took awhile because the site has a lot of info and sometimes hard to keep up with and started encoding this file. It's so horribly slow, I'm thinking about going back in the program and setting a few options down, or maybe I'll try that program you mentioned. It says time remaining, 3:10:, after 9 mins already, for 23mins of video lol.

Specs: Soyo kt400
athlon 2400+
radeon 9800 pro
512 ddrram, running at ddr333

So I've gotta figure out something lol, or maybe just do one per night I don't know. Not like I have a problem watching it on my computer, I just wanted hardcopies as well. Thanks for all the help

well in mainconcept, u can set like half way in the program what kind of file type u want u prob alrdy seen it. there is VCD,SVCD,DVD,MPEG1 and MPEG2. and i wouldnt mess around with any settings cause i havnt lol, and it doesnt take long 40min for like a 800meg files. what file type do u have right now and what are u trying to go to?

.ogm files. They have dual audio and subtitles in them. I was trying to go to mpg2 for my dvd player. I'm going to mess with it later though, really tired today and I have a friends computer to try to put together/get running.

.ogm is hard as hell dude. my friend tried doing the same thing and its a very very long process to do. by any chance these movies arnt Hindi are they?

VortexTk said:
I'm looking for a way to burn movie files, avi, mpg, maybe even .ogg! if it's possible, onto dvds. Not images or rips of movies. What format/program or whatever should I look into using to get the job done? I want these to be viewable on a dvd player, if not the normal one, my modded ps2 should be able to play them.

there are many ways to do what you want. all of them can be found at videohelp.com like mentioned before.

here is what i do for all formats

avi,wmv,mpg,etc: use tmpgenc 3.0 xpress to encode into DVD MPEG2*. once in DVD MPEG2 i use DVD-lab Pro to demux and compile into .vobs. once files are in vobs i use nero's dvd-video template and just drag n drop the Video_TS folder. DVD-lab lets you make chapters menus etc. doing it this way you can actually put up to 4 hours of great quality video on a 4.7GB dvd. with moderately high bitrates too. also tips for encoding, always use VBR for best video quality.

*only if you want to burn a DVD, if you want to burn a VCD you would encode to MPEG, if you want to burn a SVCD you would encode to MPEG2, note that DVD MPEG2 and MPEG2 are completely different

Last edited:
whats tmppgenc 3.0 xpress?? does it make it go faster or what? i use dvd lab pro as well for demuxing and stuff everything else i do the same as u only i use mainconcept for encoding cause it takes like 40min instead of 2h.

Stiffler69 said:
whats tmppgenc 3.0 xpress?? does it make it go faster or what? i use dvd lab pro as well for demuxing and stuff everything else i do the same as u only i use mainconcept for encoding cause it takes like 40min instead of 2h.

tmpgenc makes a lot of great products for encoding various formats. i like xpress cause its easy but i've used a lot of there other products as well. TIME-wise has nothing to do with the encoder program but more to do with you puter specs. p4 with HT, 2GB ram, etc will cut encode time down to 20-30 minutes for most full length movies, that is of course on CBR format. i use VBR which yields much better video quality but does 2 passes through the movie so it takes a lot longer. all these options can be adjusted in tmpgenc xpress. full guides and links at videohelp.com also. i would seriously recommend you give it a try, couldn't hurt.

to convert ogm to mp2 you can use besweet. and if you have trouble with it use oggdrop xp to convert ogm --> wav. then encode with besweet to whatever you need. it takes maybe an hour or less on my p3 800.

Back