• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disk Boot Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mace

I am stumped here maybe somebody can help. I installed Linux on my old pc. Everything went find then it got a "Disk Boot Failure" when it booted. I couldn't figure it out so then I installed Windows 98 and I am getting the same "Disk Boot Failure". I triple checked all the cables and jumpers and am pretty sure they are right. I reset the bios and I do have the hard drive set as a boot device. I can boot off of cds no problem. I just can't seem to boot from the hard drive. The hard drive should be good. I can boot off a cd and can see the files on the hard drive. I even did a fdisk /mbr to overwrite the mbr. Anybody else have any suggestions?

When in doubt check the jumpers for a 4th time. I had the drive set at master instead of single. I am kicking myself I wasted so much time on such a little problem.

We all do it at one time or another, my friend.

And we all feel just as silly for missing something like that. :)

One of my very best: Spent 3 hours trying to get a friends pc connected to his dialup isp from a hotel with no success.
Called Tech Support.
Used capital letters for two digits and he was connected.
4 hours mainly wasted.
DOH! :D

Back