• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 quick question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[DAD]MeR|iN

i was just wondering about the adhesive value of AS5, can I use AS5 to keep my ramsinks in place in stead of the thermal tape?

no.... but arctic silver does have a thermal adhesive.... it's not called as5 but it works pretty much the same way....

nah as5 will, esp when heated the sinks will just slide off. they have this stuff called alunina adhesive, and silver adhesive, i assume the silver s probly higher quality, cuase ive heard that its just as good as AS5, but be careful cause its a permenant adhesive.

The arctic silver adhesive is pretty good stuff. But as russm said, it is VERY permanant. I used it to attach some ram sinks to my TI4600 a while back. When I tried to remove them, it pulled 7 of the 8 ram chips off of the pcb. If you want to use AS5, you can put the AS in the middle, and use little tiny drops of super glue on the corners. That works well, and you could remove the ram sinks if you needed to.

thanks for all the input! sounds to me as if I'm not going to use the adhesive stuff, I dont want to rip the ramsinks of my 9800p, that would not be a good idea :) , the super glue sounds lke a good idea, Is there any way it would melt at all?

If the ram chips get hot enough to melt the glue, you have bigger problems than the ram sinks falling off. A friend of mine always uses that technique. The ram sinks attached like that to his GF3 TI200 stayed for about 2 years. Then I dropped the card on the concrete and they fell off...

I personally use a mixture of AS5 and Arctic Silver Epoxy on my Ram sinks. It works great and when the time comes to pull the card out of my watercooled setup and put the stock cooler back on, all I have to do is pull them off. I've been doing this for the past 4 vid cards now and I've never had a Ram chip come off the pcb. :beer:

Back