• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sound problems since going dual display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moglenstar

Registered
my system:

mobo: ASRock K78SX
sound: K78SX default onboard sound - with generic AC'97 drivers
graphics(AGP primary): GF4 440mx 64mb
graphics(PCI secondary): GF2 400mx 64mb
operating system: Windows XP Pro SP1

since building my system last year, i've had little to no problems with it, the only problem i had was with the sound at first, because the sound drivers supplied with the K78SX were pants, and the sound came out crackly - so i looked on the internet and found some generic AC'97 audio drivers for it, and they worked fine.. clear sound, no crackles .. it was fine.

just last week, friday infact, my GF2 pci card arrived, which i had ordered so i could set up dual monitor on the system, and it all installed fine.

i installed the card with omega 53.03 drivers, as i had done my GF4 agp - and at first, it seemed fine, it all appeared fine.

i was playing music in winamp 5.03, and decided to move winamp to the secondary (pci) screen - the sound cut out, it had killed all of the sound, so windows wouldnt make system sounds, msn wouldnt make sounds, windows media player wouldnt make sounds, and windvd wouldnt play dvd's

i restarted the system, and the sound returned as normal when windows xp started up again, and so i figured i should keep winamp on the primary (agp) screen..
and continued to start my music again..

so i was messing around with ultramon for my dual display, and those neat little titlebar buttons it adds, i fully maximised a window so that it filled the secondary screen, and then again, my sound cut out - So i restarted the pc again, and was getting pretty annoyed..

after it happing spontaneously a couple more times, i assumed it could be that windows was being stupid about the drivers and new hardware, so i decided to reinstall windows

after the reinstall, i installed the latest (61.76) forceware drivers, and again i had the same problems.

i checked in the bios that the settings for the sound and video were ok, and they were..

... and so, now im a bit stumped as to whats the problem

help?

//quick rundown if you dont want to read it all//

recently set up dual display (gf4 agp, gf2 pci) and when i do stuff concerning the pci display, the sound dies on me (onboard sound on asrock k78sx)

If you have another free PCI slot, you may want to try to switch the video card to it.

Could be it's sharing resources with the sound using the current slot.

Al

my friend who is also running dual display suggested i try winamp 2.xx

heh.. well, no problems with winamp 2.95 so far.. - i guess it must just be a problem with winamp.

and there i was thinking it was a problem with my setup :/

thanks for the replies anyways

:)

.. i'm just a bit gutted that i reinstalled windows

Back