• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant get my 1.2 "mp" palamino to work in my 8K7a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toomnymods

Well I got the Epox 8K7A and used a 1.0ghz t-bird for a few weeks works alright, then I wanted to upgrade to the "MP" 1.2 palamino cause I read that this chip does astounding things for seti times.. Well my cpu arrived yesterday, I installed it powered it up and no video whatso ever.. everything sounds like it's working but no video.. so I guess the 1.2 mp palamino isnt compatible with the 1711 bios?? Can someone help me? I know it's not a bad board I put back in the old cpu and it worked fine.. I used the default jumper settings, with the 100 mhz fsb and even cleard the cmos and no luck still same effects.. anyone know what could be the problem?? I tried to download the newest bios from this site the 1802 from amdmb.com, but it doesn't have the award flash utility and the other things it needs to accomplish this when I tried to flash it kept saying " is missing the fdd file" whatever that means.. only flashed 2 other bios's before can someone please help... and those were just pushing alt-f2 then it does everyting from there..
thanks.
chris jensen

Well I know this may sound totally crazy but I think only the 8k7a+ will work with the 1.2 MP. the 1.0 MP will not even work on the raid version. I just ordered this board and I don't understand why the 8k7a raid works and not the regular 8k7a. I have a link to the pdf from epox in another thread if you want to see the bad news just post adn i will find the link again. I am sorry to hear that cuz I want to get a 1.2 and slap it in the epox. the triphase mobo power problem is not an issue because I believe both boards are almost identical. guys over at amdmb have it working but again I think it is the raided version. If you get it to work please post how.

I read about your problem over at amdmb.com and will email you the correct edited bios for the beta one which you just put on a disk and alt f2.

could you post your email or tell me where I can find it. thanks

l8r

don't give up on the mod.

oh No this is a shame i hope someone figures out if the 8k7A will work with the 1.2 MP. hopefully they make a bios flash for this because that is the chip i want to put in my board .. Sorry to hear about that Toomny i hope you figure it out ..

El my email is [email protected] Epox's sent me the newest Bios bin file.. I was wondering If i sent it to you could you configure it for me and send it back?? Also read below... Well I guess I found out what the problem is.. I took out the palamino and swapped the processors to see if the 8K7a was maybe a faulty board (it's not...) Booted just fine with my 1.0ghz processor.. then i was like what the hell can it hurt I took the processor from my 8K7A+ and installed my 1.2 "MP" palamino in it's place and it booted perfect!! :D :p So my guess Is for some odd reason the 8K7A is not compatible till the bios flash is completed... the 1802 while on the other hand for some odd reason the 8K7A+ somehow supports it enough to use it atleast using the 1711 bios.. I even emailed thier tech support and they sent me the newest and best revision of thier beta bios's for the palamino support but then again it dont have the damn award flash utility so I'm back to square one again.. if I send this to someone can they configure it so all I'll have to do is during boot press alt-f2 to flash the bios.. I don't know how to flash the bios by using the boot disk and the a prompt..
Thanks for the suggestions guys..
[/U]

try this:

control panel> add/remove programs> start up disk tab> create disk> get award flash and the bios on a sepreate floppy than the one you created as "startup disk" > reboot w/ startup disk in the floppy drive, once it louds all its stuff insert the floppy w/ awdflash and the bios> open awardflash and flash the bios!

Bios on the 8K7A is the 1711 bios.. worked fine for the t-birdy's but not for palamino... But then again 2 people on my Seti team are running the same excact board with the same bios and thiers is perfectly working.. Chawken even has his 1.2 up to fsb of 171 and hitting over 1.53mhz with his mp palamino so I'm kinda thinkin maybe I might have a faulty board.. I was getting the "FF" vid error soon as turning on my system with the palamino installed

toomnymods said:
Bios on the 8K7A is the 1711 bios.. worked fine for the t-birdy's but not for palamino... But then again 2 people on my Seti team are running the same excact board with the same bios and thiers is perfectly working.. Chawken even has his 1.2 up to fsb of 171 and hitting over 1.53mhz with his mp palamino so I'm kinda thinkin maybe I might have a faulty board.. I was getting the "FF" vid error soon as turning on my system with the palamino installed

Just thinking Toomny could it have something to do with the rev of the board i know my board is 1.1 rev do you have rev 1.0??

It is the revision 1.1 from newegg.. just about 2 hours ago the board crashed then would fail to post at all using my 1.2 ghz t-bird.. keep getting the stupid "ff" error immediatly after turning on the power it isnt going thru the boot sequence properly, so this board is dead, already called newegg and getting a rma for it.. Luckily my plaamino is working flawlessly in my 8K7A+ board and smoking thru seti right now.. :D :p also flashed the bios to Beta bios version 8K7A1823 was just released yesterday!! I got this from the techie from Epox anyone that wants it leave thier email and i'll pass it around!! :p I'm just happy I found out what the problem was why the 8K7A wouldnt work with my processor, the thing mustve been a partially dead mobo to begin with so it didnt recognize it.. :confused: :confused:

Whooo Hoooooo so im assuming that the MPs will work on my board this is good news to me :) Alright im sure glad you found out what was wrong i got my board from new.egg also.. my email is [email protected] i would appreciate it if you could send me that new bios. Thanks Toomny.

toomnymods said:
It is the revision 1.1 from newegg.. just about 2 hours ago the board crashed then would fail to post at all using my 1.2 ghz t-bird.. keep getting the stupid "ff" error immediatly after turning on the power it isnt going thru the boot sequence properly, so this board is dead, already called newegg and getting a rma for it.. Luckily my plaamino is working flawlessly in my 8K7A+ board and smoking thru seti right now.. :D :p also flashed the bios to Beta bios version 8K7A1823 was just released yesterday!! I got this from the techie from Epox anyone that wants it leave thier email and i'll pass it around!! :p I'm just happy I found out what the problem was why the 8K7A wouldnt work with my processor, the thing mustve been a partially dead mobo to begin with so it didnt recognize it.. :confused: :confused:

Thanks for sending me that Bios file. I just got done flashing it right now it worked i checked in my bios and it has something different in there now it has 4 pci LAT timers or something im not sure what they are but from what it looks like to me is that it allows you to adjust the mhz on 4 of the PCI slots now :) WOW this board just gets better and better. Do you know what else this Bios is suppose to change ??

To tell you the truth I haven't even checked the bios yet.. lol all I did was adjust my ram timings after flashing and o'ced my palamino up to 1376 using 152 fsb x 9 multi :p What excaclty is a pci la timer? I've never heard of this can you explain it to me? This chip is running smooth as silk on 1.85 vCore and only has a temp of 82f :eek: can't belive this a High performance chip from AMD that isn't hot at all.. From what I can tell crunchining seti is this thing is smoking my [email protected] t-birdy with a fsb of 155 cas 2 .. beating it in times by nearly 30 min already, and I still havent even got over 160 fsb! lol This chip from what other people are hitting should get around 1500-1550..
Think it's time to throw out the t-birdys and get some MP Palaminos!!

This is how to get the alt f2 method to work with your new beta bios!
1 download the old bios from epox
2 double click on it and it will extract to your floppy
3 move the newer bios to the floppy disk
4 right click over the start menu/explore get to floppy drive
5 right click on update.bat then pick edit
6 notepad opens up with bunch of echo stuff telling you info about the flash.
7 scroll down near the end and you should see epox#####.bin change epox####.bin to epox0823.bin or whatever the real name of the file is.
8 next enable flashing in the bios
9 alt-f2
10 should work fine and I hope the problem is fixed.

btw what ps do you have. if it is enermax switch it out and try with any ps with a true 5.00volt rail.

good luck adn man I need a 1.2 MP or hell I bet the morgans are sweet too. I think I will be joining the seti team once my network/modding projects are all done.

Back