• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AI7 or Asus P4C800 Dx?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, no one responded. Odd. P4C all the way for performance. I had an AI7 and it's noticeably slower in benchmarks. Realworld it's a tad slower on boot but hardly noticeable. I had a bad experience with a MAX3 and don't recommend Abit boards.

Noticeably slower? What a crock. Personally, I wouldn't have the Asus. They overvolt at idle and droop to the point of undervolting at load. Blah. The AI7 will not require any volt mods if you want vdimm up to 3.2v.

Seriously, my AI7 was noticeably slower in my experience. I sent it back to NewEgg. I'm on my second P4C and love it. I do agree that the vcore dropping, even with the droop mod, is totally unexcusable and Asus should be ashamed of themselves for never correcting the issue.

Abit on the other hand does make great boards but the best Intel board produced for socket 478 was based on an 865 chipset with, in my opinion again, a low fuction uGuru. But to each his own.

With a vdimm mod, greater than 3.2 vdimm is achieveable and simple to do. I think Abit has good intentions and poor execution. I won't let go of the whole IC7-MAX3 debacle. I've cursed my flaky Asus voltages but at least the board does what it says.

I think the thread starter already has an AI7. It'd be nice to know how it's doing. Maybe some benchies or super-pi times.

i'm a definate fan of the abits. I can tell you from experience that asus boards (especially on the amd side of things) are sometimes flaky. (in this case the v core dropping) where as with teh abit board, you get perfect quality (everything 99% of the time works, and works well. Take your pick... vcore dropping, or slight decrease in performance.

I believe the droop problem on the rev 2.0 boards isn't near as bad as it was with the early revisions. Even my IS7 has a fluctuation in vcore, from 1.5-1.6v when set to 1.6 in BIOS. I hated the AI7 I had. Probably the worst experience I have had with a motherboard, but that didn't keep me from using Abit. I have a P4P800 D sitting here waiting to be tested and a P4C800E-D coming soon. I like both manufacturers and they both have their problems, but they are minor and it's hard to choose between the two.

Man why does everyone wanna knock the max3?

I got one and used it to build my first pc, a gaming rig, and it turned out great...not one single glitch or problem...it's currently running my P4 3.4C @ 3.83gigs on air and is stable as can be...3dmark03 score of 13,002 ain't to shabby either :attn:

And i love the soft menu as well, doesn't get any easier for tweakin bios :thup: to ABIT

As long as you don't use a vdimm of more than 2.8v, then the Max3 is perfectly fine. Above 2.8v you need a VTT mod. The Asus will require the droop mod to run normally and if you want high vdimm, then you need the vdimm mod too. The AI7 don't require any mods. The choice is yours.

Asus are still legendary for memory compatibility. So basically we conclude for a great out-of-the-box oc board, go Abit. For an extreme oc board that requires mods, go Asus.

sp00L said:
Asus are still legendary for memory compatibility. So basically we conclude for a great out-of-the-box oc board, go Abit. For an extreme oc board that requires mods, go Asus.

I disagree... the extreme oc board that requires mods is definately the Abit IC7-MAX 3....

Hey, i was interested in getting the AI7. What would be a better choice around the same price that has dual channel, supports ddr333 and has good overclockability?

Nothing is a better choice for the same price as the AI7. The AI7 officially supports DDR400, but I've used PC2700, PC3000, PC3200, PC3500, PC4000, and PC4200 in my AI7 with no problems. If you don't mind giving up higher vdimm options and if you want cheaper, then try the Abit IS7-E.

Back