• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel PentiumI ugh!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Franchize

A friend from work asked me to fix his PC. I said bring it in. So I bring it home and WOW a P-I. Cant believe I cant talk him into a new pc. Anyways I havent ever used a PentiumI, had a P-2 but it has been AMD for me ever since.

How do I get into the bios on this dinosaur? I want to set cd to boot to reinstall Windows. This thing has major issues.

Dude you aint kidding. What a nightmare!

I'm not even sure how to install windows with this POS. He has ME installed and he's getting all kinds of blue screen errors.

Franchize said:
Dude you aint kidding. What a nightmare!

I'm not even sure how to install windows with this POS. He has ME installed and he's getting all kinds of blue screen errors.

On a P1 i wouldn't even run win98. Can you find win95?

If you have enough RAM Win98 or ME will work. It takes at least 32 meg just to run the OS and if you want to actually do anything, you'll need 64 meg. Sounds like it needs reformatted and Windows reinstalled. Don't even think of installing WinXP. Those old AT computers are pretty much worthless nowadays.

He has 92 meg of ...get this.... EDO ram lmao. BTW He said it was running fine for years with ME it just crapped out. I noticed he has all kinds of junk installed. If I cant set cd to boot, how do I go about installing windows? The thing doesnt even load in safe mode. Do i need to set up A floppy or something? This thing is a little before I knew anything about computers. Cmos is so simple with barely any options.

Assuming there's room in the hard drive....copy the contents of the win98 folder on the CD (something similar to that on Me) to the hard drive, then run setup from the HD. that way, esp. with 98, it doens't ask for the Windows CD everytime you change settings.

ad 2 nics and make it a router with smoothwall linux :) , i got a 133mhz p1 in meh room, its a old dell with like 64mb ram, and a 4gb hd.

To load 98 or ME, you need to use use a Windows "startup" floppy. To make a Windows startup floppy, find a working computer with Win98 and check out the "help" option to see how this is done. I always keep a couple extra startup floppies around for just this purpose since I have friends that are always bugging me to fix their old computers. The startup floppy boots to DOS (use the offered option to enable CD-ROM drives on the first screen). At that point you can install from the CD. You'll be at a DOS prompt so enter "setup" and press the enter key. This method don't work with XP or 2000 though unless you have a BIOS option to make the CD bootable (which ain't likely).

batboy said:
To load 98 or ME, you need to use use a Windows "startup" floppy. To make a Windows startup floppy, find a working computer with Win98 and check out the "help" option to see how this is done. I always keep a couple extra startup floppies around for just this purpose since I have friends that are always bugging me to fix their old computers. The startup floppy boots to DOS (use the offered option to enable CD-ROM drives on the first screen). At that point you can install from the CD. You'll be at a DOS prompt so enter "setup" and press the enter key. This method don't work with XP or 2000 though unless you have a BIOS option to make the CD bootable (which ain't likely).

You can make 2k bootdisks (4 of them), but for this system it would be OS abuse to install 2k. :)

I have like 6 old P1 133mhz machines. I was using them as file storage for a while. I ran Win2k just fine on them. They were 133mhz, 128MB ram, 1.6GB HD, 16x CDROM, etc. They worked great to store stuff I didnt use often. Great little machines.

Win2000 might work since it has 92 meg of RAM, however I would not recommend it. Just load the ME back on. It obviously worked before and your buddy is used to it.

Back