• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 3200+ vs 64 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpilledMilk

I'd like opinions on whether the cost of upgrading to 64bit is worth it. I can save myself $100 and the price of a good motherboard if I upgrade to a 3200+, but I'm not sure how far they overclock. I've been looking at people's sigs, but haven't seen many overclocked 3200's. Anybody have any stats on them?

I plan on using the same cooling hardware I've currently got - TT Aquarius II. It's a beginner w/c kit, and I know how some of you feel about Thermaltake in general, but it seems to be working great for my 2500+ (43 idle, 46 100% load @ 2300mhz). I'm stuck with it anyway, because the clip broke off my socket :mad: I'm open to buying new RAM w/ the chip, if necessary, I'm not sure if my Geil will take kindly to a faster bus speed.

The Athlon 64 is a future proof upgrade, and is very much faster than the XP 3200+. It depends really on if you want to spend the money. So IMO, go with the 64.

You can't compare 32 bit and 64 bit cpus really..

They have a completely different design - one has to communicate with a northbridge for memory access and one has an onboard memory controller.

Eventually when 64 bit windows and 64 bit applications become mainstream and programs tailored to the 64 bit are popular - obviously 64 bit will be superior.

Pretty hard to compare apples and oranges on a scale of apple taste. :D

Back