• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800 pro vs 6800 GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnmcc516

After reading tons of articles and posts comparing these two video cards. I believe that the 6800 GT is the better card. I am just looking for some reassurance before i drop 400 bucks on a video card. Any last minute thoughts before I buy?

johnmcc516 said:
After reading tons of articles and posts comparing these two video cards. I believe that the 6800 GT is the better card. I am just looking for some reassurance before i drop 400 bucks on a video card. Any last minute thoughts before I buy?

If you can wait/find an x800XT (ive seen em as low as $473) Then I would do that. Otherwise have at it.

As much as I like the x800s they arent available, because the "sheep" follow what the big name benchmarkers say and all buy it. If you are looking for a here-and-now solution as I did, buy a 6800GT. You will have no regrets. I promise.

What card are you upgrading from?

I am upgrading from a laptop geforce 4 4200 go :p I don't own a pc. I just built my athlon 64 3200+ this past week, and I have been struggling with the video card issue. Any suggestions where to buy the 6800 GT? Newegg is currently out of stock.

johnmcc516 said:
I am upgrading from a laptop geforce 4 4200 go :p I don't own a pc. I just built my athlon 64 3200+ this past week, and I have been struggling with the video card issue. Any suggestions where to buy the 6800 GT? Newegg is currently out of stock.

Yea that could be a problem. Hmmmm lemme see what I can find. Do you have any local CompUSAs? Thats where I got mine. They may show out of stock. But they often have some on the shelves

what is the best brand to get? i was looking more at the evga. I was checking pricewatch and I found some for right at and below 400, but I am unsure about the websites.

EDIT: I would like to buy it this week, I will be going back to school shortly and need to get all the kinks worked out at home before I move.

^^ That mod isnt gaurnteed, in fact alot of pplz have been having problems with it. ALthough it is a viable option. Im not sure thats what he wants. There is always ebay.

The main question I was asking was whether or not the 6800 GT was the better card to get.
Crimedog, are you saying I should buy the x800 PRO and softmod it to a XT-PE? I could always mod the GT to an ULTRA
From most of the performance tests I have seen, the 6800 GT out performs the x800 PRO. And they are the same price.

johnmcc516 said:
The main question I was asking was whether or not the 6800 GT was the better card to get.
Crimedog, are you saying I should buy the x800 PRO and softmod it to a XT-PE? I could always mod the GT to an ULTRA
From most of the performance tests I have seen, the 6800 GT out performs the x800 PRO. And they are the same price.

Seems to me after all I have read its still the same old story...nvidia is faster, ati IQ is slightly better.

for doom3 anyways it looks like the 6800 wins due to superior Open GL drivers....

So I guess whatever you wanna argue, I am gonna be happy with either one of these cards. Now I need to make up my mind...

OK I will look for the best price for my 6800 GT tonight or tomorrow and buy that sucker. I am really excited about my new system and thanks to all for any help you have given me.

the issue is there is NEVER a garuntee that you will be able to mod your card - either the x800PRO or 6800GT will be a great buy - just of you buy one or the other try to get the brand that ahs the most succes with the mod's.

Either card you will be ahppy with and both cards perform great in their niche. So as said - get what is availible - did you chekc out newegg.com ?

ok cool. Too bad that its not instock.... Why is it so dang hard to buy this video card. The stupid companies need to produce more product to meet the need.

Back