• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't run OpenGL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dc5e

Okay, so this is my problem. Less than a week ago, i got an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. This card was used to replace my game theater xp. So once i put this card in, i noticed some problems running my tv-tuner while using my promise chip (2nd harddrive) or using my firewire port. It caused the video in the tv-tuner to go all whacked and my sound to become distorted. So i fixed this problem by sliding my tv-tuner up one pci slot. Now that this problem was solved, i believe it created another problem where i can't run opengl without it being like .25fps. (At least for Counter-Strike, for which i'm trying to get working)

So before i moved my tv-tuner card up one slot, if i remember correctly, i was able to use opengl in counter-strike with no problems at all, running 100fps etc. But now, it shows 5.3fps but it actually is like .25fps. Its so slow, its like running far cry on a 386. So i formatted my computer 2 or so times, before and after sliding the pci card up to solve the previously resolved problem and this new problem.

Does anybody have any idea of why this could be happening? Or any suggestions? Also, System Manager does not report any conflicts, which my dad believed to be the problem. I'm not sure this should go in here, but it seems that all my problems are related to video/sound in some way.

My specs are
2x Xeons 2.4ghz (Running stock)
PC-DL (Using the onboard Promise chip too as an ide controller)
550w forton
ATI X800Pro
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Winfast 2000 XP Deluxe

Well let me have a crack at this one. Ati cards are notorious for having problems with cs and halflife in general. Try out another opengl app like rtcw, q3, cod, mohaa and let us know if your still getting undesireable performance. Also have you installed or upgraded your mobo drivers lately?

alright, I probably will try another game but the weird thing is it worked before for quite awhile until i added my audigy2...

anyways, i'm running Cat 4.7, i also tried 4.6, latest motherboard bios version, latest audigy 2 drivers i believe, (their website stinks), latest winfast leadtek 2000xp drivers. Pretty much my whole system is up to date.

Also i was able to max fps in counter-strike in d3d, Sometimes opengl worked in 16bit color, but thats usually when i run it a 2nd time, (and thats also when my wallpapers on my desktop go blank). I also run dual screens, and i noticed that when i change my resolution, i see these black boxes on my other screen like 80% of the screen size just cascading, they just constantly appear until the resolution change has completed.

In d3d, I can't alt-tab and thats why i used opengl. Also i hope its just counter-strike, because i want to be able to play doom3 when it comes out.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with my audigy2 and my leadtek? Because after moving up the leadtek tv-tuner, i fixed one problem but this one came up.

Have you tried totally stripping the system of creative drivers/software and then reinstalling the drivers from your cd and then hitting the net to grab the proper upgrades?

i've done 2 formats, both installing the latest drivers after.

Basically for the formats i did,
Install Inf, Install SP1, Then Video/Sound/Leadtek/Promise drivers and so on.

i'm going to try q3 now

if q3 dosen't run properly you may just have to assign pci irq's manually rather than letting the bios do it on it's own. Consult your mobo manual, the settings to do this should be in there.

well if you say that when you moved your tv tuner and 1 prob got fixed, why not try moving both cards to diffrent slots?. This is indeed a wierd problem. Have you tried rolling back the drivers? say to 4.4?

well, i've moved my cards to just about every possible combination right before my 2nd format. I still had no luck then. I agree with you that its a very strange problem. Because i am able to do everything else just fine but for some reason something is breaking my opengl.

I'll try cat 4.4's now

4.4's don't work, i dont' think the x800pro's were out at that time. I'll try installing the drivers from the cd though

am I correct in my thoughts that the mobo of yours is a server board not a desktop one?
Edit: let me know how the cd drivers work.

cd drivers didn't do anything,

and my mobo is a workstation board, or server... not so much a desktop board.

my computer just hates me i bet :bang head

maybe its just telling me its time to stop playing so many games.... if so, i wasted $420 on a good card

Hmm this could be a mobo/vid card incompatability. Why not contact ati drirectly and tell them about what you've tried with us here. Maybe they can help you out.

well, i'm not exactly sure about taht, because this is what started.

1. Recieved audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (opengl still worked)
2. Replaced Game Theater XP with Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (opengl still worked)
3. Having both tv-tuner and Audigy cards on bottom 2 slots caused MAJOR slow down and distorted sound while using tv-tuner and my firewire port or Promise chip (controller for 2nd hd) (opengl still worked)
4. Format
5. Moved tv-tuner card up one slot (Fixed the firewire and promise chip problem) (opengl stopped working?, not sure about this, i didn't try playing after it, but i'm in this hardware configuration right now so its not working)
6. Try every single pci slot combination that worked with my firewire and promise chip. (OpenGL still didn't work)
7. Format
8. Try multiple drivers
9. This is where i am now

so i have reason to believe its not my video card, but it all started with the introduction of my sound card. I think it there are some incompatibilities between my sound card and tv-tuner or something along that line is wrong.

:( I like the audigy 2 though, i don't know what i'm going to do anyways...

Would it really disable the device if i do it in device manager? because if i can and it works, then i could possibly try dual boot, having a gaming os and a normal one. Just disabling everything in the gaming os.

I'll probably strip out some hardware when i have time

yes disabling it in the hardware profile will cause the o/s not to detect it. If that fixes your problem you should drop an email to creative then to see if they can help you out.

Back