• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Palamino will Die Early?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

According to AMD's roadmap, the Theroughbred CPU will hit the market sometime between January and March next year. But according to the Inquirer, AMD plans to accelerate there roadmap to keep up with Intels pace with the Pentium4 line. The Pentium4 is supposed to hit 2.4GHz now by January. If you take the current Palamino processor design which is based on .18 micron, the processor will never see it self over 2GHz. Therefore, AMD might just bring Theroughbred out sooner which is supposed to start at 2GHz.

From what I know, the Palamino is currently 200FSB/266FSB and soon 333FSB.

"Lets hope they lower there standards for Theroughbred so that we can all have the chance to give our 266FSB motherboards one last ounce of breath".

About Theroughbred, 'Japnews daily'
Theroughbred is built on .13Micron fab and has a total of 640KB on-die full speed cache. It has smart heat spreader capabilities and costs less to produce than the current T-bird/Palamino line of CPUs. "2GHz T-bred processors produce about the same amount of heat as an 750MHz T-bird processor".

Also take note that the T-bird has lived alot longer than AMD orginally planned.
Will be interesting to see what happens

thats great i have heard a while ago that 2Ghz -2.5Ghz is the barrier for air cooling more then that has to be water or extreme but this pushes this back to like 3ghz-3.5ghz hehe

GuNRocK said:
thats great i have heard a while ago that 2Ghz -2.5Ghz is the barrier for air cooling more then that has to be water or extreme but this pushes this back to like 3ghz-3.5ghz hehe

Water eh? So we are not a bunch of fanatic nuts, just ahead of our time? :D

Would71 said:
I still doubt water will become mainstream. (bad pun, sorry)

I think the CPU speed trend will slow down before water cooling will become the norm. Can you imagine the irate customers being told by some major company's tech support line that they need to refill their PC with water? Eh eh.. I just don't see it happening.

Can you imagine DELL selling a bundle that includes Evian spa water.. lol

Yea but the point your missing is that AMD has a better over all CPU than intel speed wise. Like how a T800 stomped a P/// 1gig into the ground.
I think its all a ploy to see if intel has the balls it takes to really give AMD a run for the money over all AMD has CPU that could end Intel in less than a year but the Gov(Ie:Fcc) will only allow so much through at one time. There is the problem just think the CPUs we are useing now were made a good two years before we could ever buy them just so the FCC could test them. Its all a game Intel and AMD are holding out on us.

that is like a LOT of products though...most products are held out of mainstream by the government, they fear change. monopolizing the Chip market will NEVER happen...EVER...Intel came the closest that anyone will ever come again to monopolizing the market. TOO many people that don't know a thing about computers KNOW THE NAME INTEL...the blue man group advertises for them, and you have Dell advertising for them. Intel is not going away and neither is AMD...it will just be good for us that COMPETITION means LOWER PRICES!!!!!

hehe, Dell is a funny company..

It's gonna be an interesting battle in two weeks when AMD releases the 1.53GHz Athlon. You will see a fight till the end with AMD 1.53GHz vs Intel 2.00GHz. I bet you know which one will come out on top!

The only thing that should have AMD worried for now is Intel's .13 Micron Northwood processor that sports an additional 256KB of on-die full speed cache. That could heat things up not to mention seeing a Pentium4 cooled with a 586 fan and still rated adequate.

Back