• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer powers off while in bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe power supply. But I would also check and see if your HS is seated properly or if the CPU fan is plugged in. The CPU may be heating up really quickly and shutting it self off. If you believe that the HS is seated properly and your CPU fan are plugged in you could always use a miltimeter on the power supply to see how your rails are.

if you can get into your bios it might tell you your rails. But i would check your temp too. I'd do that first. If your bios doesn't give you readings on your rails try booting into windows and checking MBM5. But I would look to see if the HS is seated properly. If it's not all this booting will kill your chip eventually.

ClarkKent said:
Does it power down while in windows as well or just in your bios?

Yes if my overclock is too high. But even if I have a small overclock, it still powers off in my bios. my load temps are only 45c too

But with with your small oc as you put it you can run windows fine? Do you have the most current bios for your motherboard? If not i would suggest flashing it.

ClarkKent said:
But with with your small oc as you put it you can run windows fine? Do you have the most current bios for your motherboard? If not i would suggest flashing it.

Yes I can run windows fine, but, I cannot run 3dmark03 or prime95 without crashing. I also have the most current bios. I would just like to know if this sounds like a cooling or a power supply problem? Thanks for the help.

if 45C is your load temp then I don't think it is a heat problem. But you do have a major overclock happening so maybe your chip or motherboard can't handle it. You said that at a smaller overclock it only crashes in your bios. Probably just have an unstable overclock and need to take it back a notch or two until it becomes stable.

If increasing didn't make it more stable then you should just step back the overclocking a bit. It's strange that an increase of voltage didn't give a more stable result though. How high did you raise the voltage? Any how did your temps do with the voltage increase?

If I raise it to more then 1.75 volts and try to go above 2.3 ghz it crashes. The temps at those speeds are about 48C load

Back