• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 6 series, differences?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Hey guys, Im just curious to know the differences between the new Geforce cards. they seem to be the best way to go atm, not saying im going to buy one right away, but for the knowllege base, i thought i would check this out anyway.

What are the major differences between the new cards? from what i can see, the only difference really is the speeds involved, and everyone is looking long and hard at the GT for its clocking potential, but i wonder, could the NU not also attain those speeds?
Do they use different memory? a different GPU that couldnt handle the speed of ultra? or is it that the speed of the ultra really NEEDS two molex connectors? if the GT only needs one and runs at similar speed.... that makes me wonder...
I had a 9800np last so that thing performed on par of course to a pro and xt but cost a lot less, so what would going geforce 6NU mean for that in overall performence?

Is a GT REALLY worth it?

Name | P* | Core | Mem | RAM

GeForce 6800 Ultra (Extreme) | 16 | 450 | 550 | 256MB GDDR3
GeForce 6800 Ultra | 16 | 400 | 550 | 256MB GDDR3
GeForce 6800 GT | 16 | 350 | 500 | 256MB GDDR3
GeForce 6800 | 12 | 325 | 350 | 128MB DDR1
GeForce 6800 LE | 8** | 320 | 350 | 128MB DDR1

*P = Pixel Pipelines (the more, the better)

** = not confirmed, but believed to be so from this article

Core and Mem are in MHz.

So the only difference is that the GT has 4 more pipelines? Can these be activated through a softmod on the standard? Does it require a hard mod? Or are they completely different boards/layouts?

The GT has 4 more pipelines, 128 megs MORE of memory, along with faster core/memory speeds. I think it is definetely worth the extra 100 bucks.

128MB more memory and the 50MHz difference each in Core and Mem. dunno about soft modding. i haven't read anything about soft modding it - probably because people don't want to chance f**king it up cuz it's a bit expensive. :)

Have to agree with Flash FX2. It's really really worth the extra $100. Also remember that enabling the extra pipes and getting significantly higher clocks on memory/core are all very much a gamble with the NU. You may get your money's worth for $300, but I'd say that going the extra $400 is a better bargain overall. Don't forget, GT->Ultra is $100 but only gets you slightly faster memory. The difference between LE,NU, and GT editions is much much more significant, particularly in the case of the GT with the huge jump in clocks and 128MB more memory.

we will have to see what these things cost in october... $399 us is like $520cdn heh. that is better than $800 though. so yea, looks like it might be the way to go after all.
of course, by then ati's new driver releases might make the x800's rule so much more.. bleh. the video card market is crappy.

however, if u are not a hardcore gamer. I believe that newegg has some good prices on a regular 6800 right now. I think it is their end of the month blowout. You can get the eVGA geforce 6800 for 280 or something. About 40 or 50 bucks cheaper then all the rest.

Back