• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux + $$$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

why the hell do u have to pay for mandrake linux? are there other linuxes u have to pay for? Correct me if im wrong about ne thing on that question there

Get me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that you jsut pay for the "technical support" part of it. Like Red Hat used to be. You got the os free, but if you wanted support, i.e. enterprise solutions, then you have to pay x-amount of money to get a tech support contract, and the dics themselves in that nice looking box, as well as other "add on" software that comes with it.

If you want the latest version of Mandrake, just go to http://linuxiso.org and d/l what version of what distro you want.

You can download the basic version of Linux Mandrake from places like Linuxiso.org. If you buy a boxed version you get it on cd, with manuals, tech support and other gubbinz.

As a linux developer I have one thing to say. My time has got to be worth at least some money.

It's wonderful that the source is open and constantly improved, and free to use. But have you ever considered that there are still people who do work to develop this stuff? You shouldn't just consider it a free OS. Consider it a powerful, low-cost alternative to Windows. If a distribution offers unique features or a powerful system for keeping you up to date, or especially excellent documentation or direct online support, isn't that worth something? Different distros all have different business models (or lack thereof), so find one you like and by all means support it if you feel compelled to. Think of Linux like public television. It needs support from its user base to keep growing. Some distros charge a fair rate for a full support packge, others operate on donations alone. And also, there are many ways to support linux besides just throwing $ at distro and application developers.

You can donate your time to improve upon the source code, help other users by answering their questions, or just help to advertise Linux as the excellent OS that it is.

-Arkaine
Overclockix developer
Yoper developer

I think it is great that they are charging, when I bought 8.1 it was only $20. That is about 6 times less than any other OS. At that time $20 a pop probably wouldn't even pay for development and media because no one was buying it.

::EDIT:: Free as in Freedom......(Even though I'm cheap and don't wan't to pay)

Back