• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with A64 O/C settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelphia83

I'm lost as to what the overclocking settings on this system do.

I've got a setting for multiplier (5-10), I'm assuming this multiplies the FSB to get the final CPU frequency.

The one that's got me clueless is the HT multiplier (1X - 5X). What is hypertransport, and what is it's relationship to the other overclocking settings? Sandra reports the board as having a max HT speed of 1000mhz, when I tried 5X the system would not boot into Windows.

So what I've gotten so far, is an FSB of 205, with a 10 (default) multi, running a whopping 2.05ghz. Ideally, I'd like to reach 2.2ghz. What voltage is safe for these CPU's on stock heatsink w/ good airflow?

I've got Geil PC4000 (2.5-4-4-7) RAM in here, so I've got ample room for overclocking. What should I be running HT, and is this async, or does this change with FSB speed?

Any help on overclocking these systems would be appreciated.

Well keep it at 1x until you can reach your max speed or target speed of 2.2 with the Claw/newcastle. slower ram timings might get you there faster. try looking at the database on the overclockers.com frontpage and see how high they are getting with same settings.

You're right about the CPU multiplier.
Now the HT multiplier is what sets the speed of the HT bus on your system, HT is the bus that connects all the motherboard parts, especially the CPU and the chipset together. The faster it is the better, but sometimes you have to drop the multiplier as the HT may also limit your overclock if its too high.
Depending on your full load temps right now (Run Prime95). If you're below 50c then try to stay under that temprature mark and up the voltage upto 1.65v, its not recommended going much over that on an A64.

Wow. That's a good writeup, but I'm still somewhat lost as to how to set memory speed. I'm only offered multipliers up to 10, and the BIOS doesn't specify which multiplier it is. Motherboard is a MSI - Neo Platinum.

I don't have a lot of time to configure this, as I'm building it for someone else, but I need CPU speed to remain at 2200 mhz, and keep RAM between 220-240 mhz. How is this accomplished, while keeping HT under 1000mhz?

TIA

Back