• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Global WIN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oneiron

I just bought myself a new CPU fan, and was hoping some of you could tell me if I have bought a good fan or not.
The fan is a Global WIN WBK38
Another thing; I don't have any thermal paste or anything... so is it enough to use that stuff allready on the fan?

Depends for what proc. that it is on, but for most, almost all, that should be just fine. And I highley suggest you get some ASII and take off the stuff that came with that HSF because ASII is MUCH better.

The WBK38 is a great HSF, not for extreme o/c but great for oc'ing Durons and light TBird OC..... The thermal compound on it is ok for now but like others are saying, Arctic Silver 2 is best. It's cheap - 1 tube is like $9 and will last you forever.

What CPU are you using?

SickBoy

WBKs are big lumps of metal that are good at their job. The 38 in particular is good because of its powerful fan ; the 68 has a low-profile, more quiet fan, but it doesn't cool as well.

For your own CPU's sake, take that pad of thermal goo off the bottom of the heat sink. I use a plastic butterknife instead of something metal, as not to score the bottom of the heat sink. When you get most of the gum off, scrub it good with a lint-free cloth and rubbing alcohol to make sure it's all off.

Lightly apply your ASII to the core of your CPU, mount the heat sink, plug the fan in, and clock away!

I have several WBK 38's and contrary to what some others may say, they will work very when overclocking. I've got a DURON 600 @ 1100MHz, a 1G AXIA T-BIRD @ 1.4 and a 1.2G AXIA T-BIRD @ 1.47 with these heats sinks for cooling. You may want to lap it, and I also recomend ASII. But in a pinch even Radio Shack heat sink compound will work, I believe it's better than the pad that comes with the hsf.

Keep in mind that the larger fan that these units employ may be too much for the onboard headers provided on the motherboard, as stated in the instructions included with it. Your WBK 38 should have come with a three pin to molex adapter. Although I've run mine off of the headers on an A7V, A7V133 and an FIC AD11 with no problems to this point, travel at your own risk on this one.

Good Luck!

thx for the replies everyone! I'm running with a 1,33 birdy @ 1,46. The only problem is I have a A7M266 mobo... and I ain't able to get it any higher. (I want 1,6!!) If I try Windows refuse to boot! :(
I would really like to try Arctic Silver 2, but I don't know where to get it. I have never seen any such thermal compounds for sale here in Norway... any ideas?

I have once of the original fop 38's
ow my ear.
no it's not that bad... wear headphones
they keep your processor cool so it does the job if thats what your worried about :)

Oneiron said:
thx for the replies everyone! I'm running with a 1,33 birdy @ 1,46. The only problem is I have a A7M266 mobo... and I ain't able to get it any higher. (I want 1,6!!) If I try Windows refuse to boot! :(
I would really like to try Arctic Silver 2, but I don't know where to get it. I have never seen any such thermal compounds for sale here in Norway... any ideas?

try www.microplex.no , they got artic silver + lots of other good cooling stuff

Back