• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S v2 / XP-M 2660 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Remyx

NF7-S v2 / XP-M 2600 questions

Before I submit my order for an Abit MB, I have a few questions. I am new to this forum so pardon my lack of knowledge.

I plan to purchase the following:
Abit NF7-S v2
AMD XP-M 2600+
I would like to OC it some, but I am not looking for extreme OC.

NF7-s version 2 => not a Nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset ?
According to Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030721/nforce2_ultra_400-02.html) it looks like it is an Ultra 400. But every other web site indicate the opposite.
What is the benefit of the Ultra400 ? Would I miss anything going with the NF7-S v2

- What is the benefit of modified Bios (like D24 and such)

- According to Abit's web site, the NF7-S is for Athlon XP CPUs, not for the mobile version. However is seems to be a popular combination. Is there a trick to run a Mobile XP on the NF7-S or it works by default ?

Thank you,
Remy

The modded BIOS' allow you to overclock to higher levels than the stock would normally allow. I'm not into that sort of thing, so I can't tell you how it works, but certain BIOS revisions allow certain ram chips to overclock more. Example: Trat's D24 works very well with BT-d43 Hynix chips, while D10 Turbo or 4X4 works very well with mt -5B chips found on Buffalo ram occasionally. You just have to try them out to see which will give better performance. The NF7-S 2.0 has the Ultra 400 chipset which is probably some hi tech way of saying that the board has 400 system bus support.

>>The mobile will work fine, the mobo will just not recognize it.

Does it mean I have to adjust CPU settings manually before firewire things up ? Should I start with the default settings and work my way up ?

I always boot into Windows using stock settings first, and then restart and go into BIOS. Just a safety kind of thing. I don't know if it even does anything or not.

When you decide to get the mobile, make sure you do this mod before putting the heatsink on. It's called the L12 mod or wire trick depending on the forum. Here's a post I just made yesterday about it.
enduro said:
The wire trick is shown here and is very simple, you just take a phone cord and strip the rubber/plastic stuff off until you get down to the thinnest wire there ( it is very thin ), then you bend it into a U shape and slip it into the cpu socket, shown here. Wire Trick or L12 mod
If the pic doesn't appear, the post is in the middle of the page and was made by Sentential. It says L12 mod and shows the bent wire and cpu socket. You just insert the wire into the two cpu socket holes and make sure that the wire is the right length ( I had to shorten mine a bit more than the one in his picture) and then put the cpu in. And that's it. It's one of the easiest mods that you can do, and it can boost your overclock by up to 20 Mhz fsb or 200 Mhz cpu clock depending on your multiplier. (last step) When you boot up your computer, go immediately into BIOS and go to "Load Optimized Defaults" and hit enter. After doing that go to the area that shows the fsb ( in the top left of your BIOS menu, I can't remember the name) and look at the fsb. Instead of the default 133 fsb, you should see 166 fsb and a multiplier of 5 or 6. If you see 166, then the mod worked, if not, it didn't. The one thing to remember is to put the wire in the correct sockets and triple check to make sure. Print out the picture shown above and triple check using that, because you want that wire in the correct holes. Good luck man.
Here's the link, it didn't show up in the quote, just go to the middle of the thread and there should be a pic of which holes the wire goes into.
Wire Trick

Sorry for asking dumb question. Why should I consider doing the L12 mod ?
I am not attempting any exterme OC at this time.

My question is: if the MB doesn't recognize the mobile CPU, as per the post below, do I have to manually set the CPU voltage, FSB and multiplier ?

Remyx said:
Sorry for asking dumb question. Why should I consider doing the L12 mod ?
I am not attempting any exterme OC at this time.

My question is: if the MB doesn't recognize the mobile CPU, as per the post below, do I have to manually set the CPU voltage, FSB and multiplier ?
doing the L12 mod will default your fsb to either 166 or 200 depending on which pin mod you do which may allow you to increase your fsb to higher speeds. usually you have to manually set all bios options in bios but some bios like d10 for instance have preprogrammed bios settings which you can select. my suggestion would be to oc that thing. they can take the pounding and it will last your a good 5 years no matter what kind of stress you put it through. i mean if you are keen on keeping that chip for the next 25 years then by all means be carefull about how you oc it. but imho, there is no need to try to preserve that chip especially since its already outdated. you'll be impressed by how much it can accomplish if you tweak it to the max. i have 2 chips and one does 2.6 and the other 2.7 both on air and i've been using them for awhile now and there is no sign of cpu die burning etc etc. don't be a wuss and oc that thing! jp :p

Back