• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 Video Card Requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlepri

The following was posted on tom's hardware guide

"id Software's programmer Robert Duffy updated his .plan file and among other things, he explains the graphics requirements for the upcoming game Doom III.

In short, here's which requirements are needed for the different quality setups of the game:

Ultra Quality (max. quality): for 512MB video cards. Each texture; diffuse, specular, normal map at full resolution with no compression.

High Quality: for 256MB video cards. Uses compression ( DXT1,3,5 ) for specular and diffuse and no compression for normal maps. This looks very very close to Ultra quality but the compression does cause some loss.

Medium Quality: for 128MB video cards. Uses compression for specular, diffuse, and normal maps. This still looks really really good but compressing the normal maps can produce a few artifacts especially on hard angled or round edges.

Low Quality: for 64MB video cards. It does everything medium quality does but it also downsizes textures over 512x512 and we downsize specular maps to 64x64 in this mode as well."

Here is the Link

I guess I will have to plan on playing on Medium Quality with a 9800pro (128MB). Starting to feel the need to upgrade - MUST RESIST!

For all of you with 9800 pros it looks as if you CAN play with high quality after all.
This is quoted from the new hardocp doom 3 guide.

"Depending on your system, we have found 128MB video cards that can handle High Quality mode very easily."

So all of you with a radeon 9800 pro and such, can enjoy doom 3 at high settings.

Here is the link to the review.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

my 9700pro should be fine, Ill just crank it up to 430/370, iv never had to overclock my video card for a game until now. Once i get my 512mb pc4200 A-data ram in im ganna order another stick whe ni save some more cash, then once i get my check for the house i just sold I'll buy myself an X800Xt 512mb, if they even make them in 512mb lol.

The 9800pro is only a few FPS faster then a 9700pro, thats why i never upgraded to the 9800's.

I like to play games @ 1280x960 but if i have to I'll D3 @ 1024x768

i wonder how my 9600xt will handle...im guess medium settings with 1024 hopefully

grrr, there is still a glitch in my 9500 no pro, becuase i try to crack it to a 9700 no pro, now it doesn't work. :( is there any place i could send it for mantainesce

Flashfx2 said:
For all of you with 9800 pros it looks as if you CAN play with high quality after all.
This is quoted from the new hardocp doom 3 guide.

"Depending on your system, we have found 128MB video cards that can handle High Quality mode very easily."

So all of you with a radeon 9800 pro and such, can enjoy doom 3 at high settings.

Here is the link to the review.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

Thanks for the link - it looks like I am going to be OK. I will be averaging around 47 FPS on high quality (1024x768).

pwnz0r! :D

I think it's simply awesome what Id has done with "low end" hardware. Having the game playable on a 1.5ghz P4 with 384mb of ram and a GF4MX card is incredible in my book. As I've stated in the past, Id's "low settings" are not what most people may have been expecting -- they are considerably better than I think anyone knew.

I'm also quite happy to see NVIDIA's cards doing so well, especially the 6800 non-ultra. The 6800NU almost doubled the performance of the 9800XT, while packing half the ram and (at retail) a lesser cost. I think it's spectacular that Joe Dorkus on the street can get UBER performance out of Doom3 for so little cash spent on a video card.

Props to NVIDIA for killer generation of cards, and props to Id for probably THE game of the year.

jlepri said:
Thanks for the link - it looks like I am going to be OK. I will be averaging around 47 FPS on high quality (1024x768).

When I checked out the ID benchmarks, 47 FPS on high quality is what their computer averaged and it was a P4 Northwood 3.2, Gig of Ram and a X800XT. Their 9800XT machine was getting around 20FPS on high quality with AA and AF. I hope your right, but according to their tests I'd be lucky to get 47 fps on my computer.

Back