• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

doom 3 hw guide up at [H]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theELVISCERATOR

Take a look see guys and best part is it will run great on low to mid spec machines..and look awesome on high end..

Didn't know if who would get testy??? :confused:

It doesn't hurt to make sure there aren't already threads running on the topic. I wouldn't have said anything, but you've been a member since december already. ;)

Here's the major specs for my new comp... I think I can play... right? :D :bday:

A64 3400+
K8N Neo Platinum
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200XLPRO
eVGA 6800GT (unless I get on one of those crazy deals for and XT or an Ultra)
Antec True 550W PSU
36.7GB 10k Raptor
160GB 7k Seagate
Audigy 2 ZS
...and a RAZER VIPER!!!1 w00t w00t!
Heh... these are just the main components... I'll make a thread in the general section when the time comes... I have a lot more stuff I'll buy

Also, water cooling:

WW for A64
DD block for 6800
DD maze 4 for chipset
Eheim 1250
DD double heater core
2x Dtek shrouds + those enermax fans at newegg with fan controllers that do 60 cfm's at 24 dBA's
Water Wetter
15' Clerflex tubing from mcmaster w/ 1/8" thick walls
20 Hose clamps from mcmaster
One T fitting for T-line

Yeah that's pretty much all of the water cooilng. Expect to see thread soon :D

IMOG said:
Didn't know if who would get testy??? :confused:

It doesn't hurt to make sure there aren't already threads running on the topic. I wouldn't have said anything, but you've been a member since december already. ;)

i saw that too but its about tomshw guide..which I wont read...

OMG high quality mode 1280x1024 8xani avg fps: 57.4 for my system, WOW!!! Minimum fps=37!!!. Sweet I was about to buy a 6800GT looks like NU will suffice!!Great news, except for ATI9xxx series. PRO minimum fps:7??? LOL Nvidia owns Doom 3. Also resolution was at 1024x768 for the PRO and XT. Looks like my cheaper 6800nu wiped the floor with those cards.

lets try to keep this civil in here you are missing the point again jarlaxe,
doom3 will look and run nicely on most hw, the experience looked great at 640 low quality.....enough of the woot woot pwns joo garbage..

Jarlaxe said:
OMG high quality mode 1280x1024 8xani avg fps: 57.4 for my system, WOW!!! Minimum fps=37!!!. Sweet I was about to buy a 6800GT looks like NU will suffice!!Great news, except for ATI9xxx series. PRO minimum fps:7??? LOL Nvidia owns Doom 3. Also resolution was at 1024x768 for the PRO and XT. Looks like my cheaper 6800nu wiped the floor with those cards.

errr confusing pages.....I saw a 3500 running a nu the other was a ultra..

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say that NV's latest generation does indeed hold the performance crown in D3. The pwnx0r and ownage and whatever else isn't needed, but the fact remains that NV40's are wiping the floor with the R420's.

Now for the flipside, the NV3x's aren't competing with the R3xx's very well. I think that's going to hold more water for a grand majority of people, since only a scant few uber-users in the computer gaming world will actually have posession of a NV40 or R420 card when the game comes out.

I still think it's quite awe-inspiring how Id was able to bring so much visual fidelity to "low end" video cards. For as much crap as people were giving Id about their lowest possible settings, I think they did VERY good.

What surprised me was the AGP 6800U fps were _better_ than it's PCI-E counterpart?

Explanations?

Wtf, you talking about? It was a BFG 6800 OC 128mb. I didn't know they made 128mb Ultra's... You must have not noticed how the X800XT PE could only keep up with a 6800nu.(On Athlon 64 FX 53)No, no bs, read through article again

AMDXPCottonFire22
Limp Gawd

Join Date: Jul 2004 WoW the normal 6800 beats the pro and even its at 1600 x settings!

From the HardOCP forums. I'm not the only one seeing this.

It's not much of a difference, but this is what I saw:

GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI-Express 256MB 54.7 fps
GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB 57.5 fps

Merely commenting that an AGP card is getting better fps than a PCI-E card in this crazed enthusiast world we live in. :D

ati is working on patches and a totally new opengl driver... all ati users pray and hope :)

but remember guys. doom3 was developed so its runs well on nvidia card and nvidia designed its chips especially for the ID main guy who does all the opengl. the whole stencial shading stuff etc is where nvidia owns ati.

anyway lets see what hl2 brings.

Frankly, HL2 will never be released, just wait for Stalker and Baldurs Gate 3, mmmmmmmm. Even if Half-Life 2 is released it is already outdated. First Far Cry stole the WOW from Doom 3 and HL2, mainly because it was our first next gen game. Doom 3 should have a bit better graphics, physics, gameplay for sure, and god those beautiful shadows. What is HL2 going to bring to the table? Nobody will play it and say" Wow", after Doom 3 or Far Cry. So basically, HL2 suxor times 5.

First of all, Half Life 2 will be released and there will be a group of people oggling over it like you are Doom 3. I personally have been waiting for Doom 3 and haven't ever been nearly as excited about Half Life 2 because I've always been crazy about Doom and the original Quake. I like the dark, gloomy atmosphere of those games and this one should be awesome. I for one will be buying both games just because of the original Half Life. As far as Doom 3 and your system goes, I'm very happy for you. I don't think this needs to become an ATI vs Nvidia or Doom 3 is better than Half Life 2 post since everyone has different tastes. I should be able to run the game fine with my crappy ati card and if I can't, I'll just buy another card.

Back