• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got my new ATI silencer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ledzep

hi all
ok i just got my new ATI silencer 1 and im going to install it later tonight.

but there is a little problem im sure some of you will encounter, i have a 9800pro 128mb and arctic-cooling made 2 different versions for the 9800 pro , "ati silencer 1" for the 9800pro 128mb and "ATI silencer 3" for the 9800pro 256mb/XT , i was sitting in the store for an hour trying to figure out if the silencer 3 will fit my 128mb 9800pro as it has the extra memsinks built in , while the "silencer 1" doesnt have ramsinks included, the store just got them today and they come in sealed pacages so they didnt whant to open them to try and fit a "silencer 3" which is made for 9800pro 256mb/9800XT on a 9800 pro 128mb card.
eventualy i didnt whant to take the risk of it not fitting so i took the "silencer 1" that for sure will fit my 9800pro 128mb and got some ramsinks for the mem.

this is an image of the "silencer 3" with the extra copper ramsinks.
ati3b2.jpg

did anyone manage to install the "silencer 3" on the 128mb 9800pro? it should only fit the 9800pro 128mb and the XT but maybe it will also fit the 128mb pro, i couldn't check this maybe someone else did?

cheers , ledzep.

hi all.
ok installed the ATI silencer 1 and + ramsinks on both sides on my ATI 9800 pro 128mb card.
instalation was very easy & didn't need to remove the shim.
i used the thermal paste that came with the silencer.
i benched a little with aquamark and got 2,413 gain in score to 39,714 with clocks of (430,365).

just whanted to share....

i guess the new VGA silencer rocks :clap:

ledzep.

Ok...I'll bite. Where in the heck did you get one of those? It's hard enough to find information on the internet yet alone find one to buy. I've been waiting for an eternity for one of those for a spare 9800XT I have.

tjr1973 said:
Ok...I'll bite. Where in the heck did you get one of those? It's hard enough to find information on the internet yet alone find one to buy. I've been waiting for an eternity for one of those for a spare 9800XT I have.
i live in israel and the company that imports them just got them yesterday they have 8 models here for nivid and ATI.

i didn't try to overclock more then 435/365, got too late and i was too tierd.

ledzep.

ledzep said:
ok installed the ATI silencer 1 and + ramsinks on both sides on my ATI 9800

ledzep.

wow... I got silencer 3 but no ramsink. How did u get them? Anyways, I got the AIW 9800pro...barely o/ced it.... cant go past 393/370 :(

nyhunter said:
wow... I got silencer 3 but no ramsink. How did u get them? Anyways, I got the AIW 9800pro...barely o/ced it.... cant go past 393/370 :(

think i didn't explain it right, the new VGA silencer is called "ATI silencer #"
where the # is 1-4 (4 versions for ati cards) , im using the silencer 1 for my 9800pro 128mb and it doesn't come with ram cooling, the ramsinks i got are regular ramsinks and have nothing to do with the silencer, they fit perfectly with the silencer so don't worry about that.
there are other models that come with a big cooper sink that covers the ram aswell for example the ATI silencer 3 for the 9800XT has a big copper sink that fits over the memory chips.

"ATI Silencer 1" for ATI 9500 (SE, Pro), 9600 (SE, Pro, XT),9700 (SE, Pro),9800 (Pro)
"ATI Silencer 2" for ATI 9600 (Pro, XT)
"ATI Silencer 3" for ATI 9800 Pro 256mb ,ATI 9800 XT
"ATI Silencer 4" for ATI X800 (R420)

for the NVIDIA cards there are 5 models:
NV Silencer 1 for Nvidia Geforce 4TI ,Nvidia FX 5700
NV Silencer 2 for Nvidia FX 5700 Ultra
NV Silencer 3 for Nvidia FX 5900 XT
NV Silencer 4 for Nvidia FX 5800-5950(Ultra)
NV Silencer 5 for Nvidia FX 6800

pics of all models can be found in this website:
https://www.zigzag2000.co.il/catalog/default.php?cPath=174_157&filter_id=135
hope this calrify the mess.

lz.

Last edited:
Greetings!

Ledzep, you are the one with the answer to a question that is been puzzling me for a while...
Is there any problem assembling the ATi Silencer 1 + ramsinks on a 9800 Pro 128MB?
Thanks!

i need to get one of those.

i don't think my vga silencer 3 has full contact on the core. my temp idle is @ 66 and full load @ 73 which is way too hot.

from the picture above, that little piece sticking out will definitely help cooling down the core.

anyone know where i can buy one of those in the states?

Dam!!!

ive got a 9800pro 128mb version too..

and i was going to get a ATI silencer 3 cause of the ram sinks. But know ive found out it wont fit!

So my question is this.. would it be better to buy a ATI silencer 1 (same as the topic in this post) or should i just get the original VGA silencer rev.3?

The hestsink in the new silencer altho made of copper appears to be much smaller. Wouldnt this reduce performance over the rev3 heatsink?

Hey guys.
I live in Israel too and I also own a Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb Sapphire).

I got Artic-Cooling's VGA Silencer (rev2) and I got to o/c my lil baby to 459/364 and get NO artifacts in Aquamark and to 474/363 and get almost no artifacts (in fact I only had artifacts in Massive Overdraw which is the "heaviest" test in Aquamark).
The best score I got was 29k but thats only because I got a super slow cpu - 1700.

I dont know how good this ATI Silencer is but you can bet you can get great o/c results with VGA Silencer.

-blaster- said:
ive got a 9800pro 128mb version too..

and i was going to get a ATI silencer 3 cause of the ram sinks. But know ive found out it wont fit!

So my question is this.. would it be better to buy a ATI silencer 1 (same as the topic in this post) or should i just get the original VGA silencer rev.3?

The hestsink in the new silencer altho made of copper appears to be much smaller. Wouldnt this reduce performance over the rev3 heatsink?

i got the ATI silencer 1. and got some extra ramsinks for the mem. i think you wont see much difference between the rev3. and the new silencer 1.
i would allways go for the newer stuff cause i assume they wont make a "worse" product and maybe got it better this time.
my card isnt the best overclocker and i can run it at 440/370 with no probs got 41,603 in aquamark with those speeds.

cheers , lz.

The problem with the newer silencer is the fact that the fan is now larger and speed is automatic. What that means is that it will be (and is unfortunately) louder than the current VGA Silencers on the low settings. The fans are also poorly balanced and are not smooth. I was completely unimpressed. In fact I didn't keep an HIS X800 XT PE for just that reason. I stuck with a modded VIVO card using the AC VGA Silencer Rev 3 on low and OCZ BGA Ramsinks. Quiet and just as effective. Any time control is taken away from the end user it usually spells bad news. Of course, if you don't value silence then the new coolers are great.

i dont know how's the x800's silencer but my ATI silencer 1 for the 9800 pro is 100% silent no sound at all even when overclocked.

ledzep said:
i dont know how's the x800's silencer but my ATI silencer 1 for the 9800 pro is 100% silent no sound at all even when overclocked.

That's sweet, I cant wait to get mine. Where did you get yours from?

dreIU said:
That's sweet, I cant wait to get mine. Where did you get yours from?
in a store in israel , but they dont ship internationaly.
here are some pics i took:

silencer1resized.JPG

silencer2sized.JPG

silencer3resized.JPG

Back