• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i still return a MAXTOR 160gb i bought like more than a year ago?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ultimasailing

Registered
hello, i have a Maxtor diamond Plus 9, 160 gb ata/133 that i bought a bit more than a year ago. I dont have the receipt, but i think i got it from Best buy, and on the drive they say the manufacturer's date is "05APR2003". I think this means April 5th 2003. I used the Powermax software, and after the full test, the software said the drive had failed, with error code "dea76476". Anyone know if i can still return the drive for a replacement? This is the second time maxtor hard drives had failed, and i have no problems with WD.
on a side note, should i buy seagate from now on? i hear they have 5 year warranty now. Thanks everyone.

bah, they expire like in june

i tried the link, typed in the sn, and they expire. Do i have any other options? this is so bad, and i spent top dollar for it to.

Well this stuff happens to everyone. I would try some other software to format the drives even utilites from other manufactuers. If you can't get it to work at all prices on hard drives aren't that bad. I picked up my hatachi drives for 90 a piece at newegg.

I would try calling maxtor customer service support and plead your case. If the warranty expired less than 30 days ago they may (and it is a long shot) grant you a replacment. It wouldn't hurt to mention nicely that Seagate and WD have 5 and 3 year warranties respectively.

Back