• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I feel ripped off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnmcc516

Two weeks ago, I bought the Athlon 64 3200+ newcastle core from newegg for 280 bucks. I just checked the price now. And it has dropped to 225. Over 50 dollars in two weeks. I could have saved 50 bucks.

Prices on computer parts fluxuate by the hour , new part comes out the the last part's price drop's $20. i had a order at newegg for some upgrade parts the next day the parts where $25 cheaper.

i usally wait now till a few new parts come out till i order somthing , it may be out of date but 3 months ago it was new. and good enought for me

o well. I guess that is what I get for only looking at new egg for my cpu. Kinda stupid of me. But this was my first, and a learning experience at that.

If I would have waited 18 months I could have saved $300 on my Athlon XP2800+. :cry:

People should not complain so much. Computers are a lot cheaper now than they were 20+ years ago. Back then I paid $1200 for dual 8-inch floppy drives. They had a combined capacity of only 485,888 bytes (about 1/2 MB). The computer's CPU ran at 6MHz and it had 128K RAM. The whole computer cost around $5000 and probaby ended up in the landfill.

You just have to shrug your shoulders and move on. If you are always waiting for the price to be right then that is when that item is just ready to be discontinued. Look at all the people that bought Athlons, Athlon XPs and Durons over the last few years. Now the Duron is gone and is replaced by the Sempr0n. The Athlon XP is on it's last legs with the XP 2800+ being the slowest one produced now. In another year the Sempr0n and other AMD CPUs will be based on the Athlon 64 and Opteron.

I would have just gotten a mobile barton...

Oh wait, I did! haha, seriously though, they offer better performance (when oced) than the 3200+ and they only cost like $80

iwillburnbush said:
I would have just gotten a mobile barton...

Oh wait, I did! haha, seriously though, they offer better performance (when oced) than the 3200+ and they only cost like $80

If you say so... :rolleyes:

In some applications Intel's 2.8GHz is faster than an AMD 64 3200+.

K4mui said:
If you say so... :rolleyes:

In some applications Intel's 2.8GHz is faster than an AMD 64 3200+.

That may be the case, but I built this as a gaming pc. I have a very nice laptop I will use from school work.

johnmcc516 said:
That may be the case, but I built this as a gaming pc. I have a very nice laptop I will use from school work.

My post was just to show iwillburnbush that MHz is not everything ;) because he came with an OCed Barton- which will of course fail against the A64 in any game :)

You should be happy to have such a top of the line computer right now and as the computer world goes thing's like this happen so gren and bear it. I have also had the same thing happen just never 50 bux worth tho.

LOL, I wish I had the money to even consider buying a 280 dollar CPU. I'm a cheap ******* and when I buy stuff the first thing that comes to mind is how much can I sell this baby to someone else in XX months :p

CPU fluxuate depending on demand..aka mobile Althon XP went up in price after it discovered how these babies O/C

Normally though
Top end CPUs aka those over 250 dollars will drop in price every quarter between 20-40%

Mid aka 150-250 will drop 10-30%

Low ends 150 below normally drop between 5-20%

K4mui said:
My post was just to show iwillburnbush that MHz is not everything ;) because he came with an OCed Barton- which will of course fail against the A64 in any game :)

Actually this is quite incorrect. Mobile Barton's carry the amazing advantage of the unlocked multiplier, thereby making it much easier to achieve high fsb results from these chips. A mobile barton running at sufficient fsb with an apporpriate clock speed will most certainly close the gap between the AXP and A64. My current system benchmarks at the same level of a stock A64.....and the only applications that a P4C would excel over the A64 in would be ones that take advantage of the extra bandwidth that the Intel chip may have, as well as HT. That is, encoding and benchmarks such as Aquamark3 seem to favor the intel chips. However, this is not to say that there aren't benchmarks that favor AMD's lineup, as there are (Unreal Tournament, anyone?).

The point here is that, yes, raw mhz is not everything, as most of us know that by using AMD processors. However, the P4C's are not superior to AMD's Athlon 64 lineup nor are the mobile barton's a bad investment either. My $95 cpu has given me a 3dMark score of over 21,000 marks and in the summer my idle is around 40 degrees. This setup will be more than sufficient to tide myself over and many other users until I am ready to more into the 64-bit foray.

Well, you can change the multiplier on A64 as well- so you can achieve very high FSBs. And A64 allows (finally!) high "FSB", compared to the Athlon XP they can do 300-400MHz, which nearly doubles!

And I'm way apart benches... or did you ever play one? ^^ ;)

A64 has the best IPC on desktop- PCs, so I wouldn't say any CPU can win against A64 in games

K4mui said:
Well, you can change the multiplier on A64 as well- so you can achieve very high FSBs. And A64 allows (finally!) high "FSB", compared to the Athlon XP they can do 300-400MHz, which nearly doubles!

And I'm way apart benches... or did you ever play one? ^^ ;)

A64 has the best IPC on desktop- PCs, so I wouldn't say any CPU can win against A64 in games

A 2.4 @ 300fsb would give it a damn good run for its money =)

~t0m

No, it would not. My [email protected] (dropped to 2.4) would stomp it to the ground. ;)

deception`` said:
The point here is that, yes, raw mhz is not everything, as most of us know that by using AMD processors. However, the P4C's are not superior to AMD's Athlon 64 lineup nor are the mobile barton's a bad investment either. My $95 cpu has given me a 3dMark score of over 21,000 marks and in the summer my idle is around 40 degrees. This setup will be more than sufficient to tide myself over and many other users until I am ready to more into the 64-bit foray.

When I had My barton at 2.6, A64's at 2.2 were kicking my *** in 3DMark03, and with my A64 I keep on P4's at 3.6-7.

WA2 said:
When I had My barton at 2.6, A64's at 2.2 were kicking my *** in 3DMark03, and with my A64 I keep on P4's at 3.6-7.

But just in 3DMark... in games the P4 just sees your rig's back :santa:

Back