• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile 2600 or amd64 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stevede216

Registered
I can get a

amd 64 3000+

and

asus kv8 k8t800 for

$267

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

or have a nice overclocking project and get

amd moblie 2600+ hopfuly overclock to 2.5-6 ghz

abit nf7-s

thermalright sp97

thermaltake 90mm fan

arctic silver 5 for

$262

what should I do

This should go in the AMD cpu section but as alway's

WELCOME to Our Forum's/

I would go with the A64 setup but dont get the via chipset instead get a Nforce3 250gb board. But if you are limited to $ you might wanta get the 2600 as the a64 are really just now starting to take off.

jonspd said:
This should go in the AMD cpu section but as alway's

WELCOME to Our Forum's/

I would go with the A64 setup but dont get the via chipset instead get a Nforce3 250gb board. But if you are limited to $ you might wanta get the 2600 as the a64 are really just now starting to take off.

I cant spend to much I got to get another 512mb ram and a 6800gt later on so my limit now is like $300 at the verry max

should I go for the nforce3 board the only ones I can get are the

GIGABYTE "GA-K8NS PRO

msi K8N Neo Platinum

and is there anything better you guys can recomend for under $130

I didnt say that the MSI has had alot of problem's the gigabyte seem's to be doing alright you asked for a board under 130 and plus the epox is the best on the market ATM.

Although an athlon 64 2800+ is faster then a barton at 2.5ghz, i reccomend getting whatever is cheaper.

Besides benchmarks, in reality, there is NOTHING an Athlon 64FX53 can do that an athlon xp 2500 cant do. They can both play any game perfect with a good video card, the 64 may get you about 10 more fps, but if you have a high end video card, what is 10 fps in 200? What is 15 seconds of a 3 hour encode?

Get whatever is more affordable. My $0.02

I think that the 64 would be a more promising thing, and is also the route I am going. However, I am waiting on my processor to get back in. They sent me an older ClawHammer core, rather than the NewCastle one. My issue was, it was listed as a NewCastle on the site, and thats what I wanted. Not to mention I want to OC that thing to 2.5ghz ish on air, so I hear the NewCastles are capable of. If I am wrong, please correct me, but with the A64's, it is less of a performance hit if the mem is ASYNC over the XP platforms. :eh?:

I also have the Chaintech VNF3-250, and was kinda dissappointed that I had to get a new sound card, for that onboard was not quite up to par over my Nforce2 MCP-T. But I think that all of the A64's are quite a beneficial thing to get if you 1) want a free OS from MS for a year, 2) Want some bragging rights and 3) want the latest stuff too.

Your call man, but the way I see it, if you are getting a new rig, get something that will still be around, and have a way with its OC potential. The XP's are fast when overclocked, but their ceilings have been met. I say help us find the next OC beast like the mobiles were for the XP's, but for the 64's! :beer:

from my experience( went through 3 different sockets in less than 5 months) the price performance of the 2600 mobile is better than the a64 setup IF you get the right components-

DFI infinity, 2600 mobile,bh-5(for Low Latency)@245-250 fsb is the equivelent of the a64 3200 w/512 cache-

ive run multiple benchmarks that proved so, BUT, the a64 FEELS quicker than any other setup ive had yet in desktop manipulation and ordinary apps.

you can feel the difference and i asure you that a64 is being held back(64bit OS) dramatically-

but in benches(32bit OS) my mobile setup @ 2.65 ran with the a64 3200 w/ 512 cache stock-

amd's running in the neighborhood of 2.5- 2.6 etc: is damn fast truthfully, whether it be k7 or k8, it'll keep you set for years to come no doubt-

both skt 754&462 is amd's budget offering not offering DC for the platform, but they chewup data so quickly,the performance of DC is somewhat negligible-

if you want to save a few bucks the mobile will serve you just fine, trust me, but if you want to take advantage of the 64bit OS(linux rightnow) (MS 2Q 2k5) a64 is the way to go-

id rather have teh clawhammer

i can get the extra mhz by overclocking i cant get teh extra cache

Agallion said:
id rather have teh clawhammer

i can get the extra mhz by overclocking i cant get teh extra cache
You can't get the extra overclock you get with Newcastle. Clawhammer has less Multiplier compared to Newcastle at same ratings/price. Newcastle is much better.

Back