• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the Box thinking on Upgradeable Video Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlepri

Here is an idea that came to mind this morning on my why to work. Now I am not a Computer Engineer and still learning my way around my first build PC so bear with me. With the price and performance of video cards steadily increasing – why not consider an upgradeable video cards. Since a video card are like a mini PC in itself, design a card that could have an upgradeable core, additional memory slots and possibly a way to add additional rendering pipelines.

Probably a little far fetched, and I know the manufactures would loose $$ - but who knows?

It's viable solution on ethat has been brought up here more than once. But like you said manufactuers would loose money. Plus design would be a pain, and the memory/core would be a pain to install. Also the PCBs are different. If you look at the PCB of a Ti4200 compared to a 6800 they are worlds apart.

^^ and that standardization would likely limit video cards level of upgrading - mainly due to the resitors and PCB they are made on.

Kind've how bus-pipelines are limited on your motherboard... if we had a standard PCB where you could stick a GPU and GPU RAM like a motherboard.. we'd probably create more companies, and more profitibility to the video realm.. however, I think it would overcast more and more the CPU section...

System Motherboard - cpu, system ram, cards, drives
Video card motherboard - gpu, gpu ram...

You'd have to worry about upgrading two or three pieces like a motherboard upgrade... going to 745 or 939 pin, you need new DDR2 ram, and a new proc...

-Frank

Back