• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed my Raptor, but now my IDE drives are gone??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirjinx1974

I installed my 36 gig Raptor and got it going good and then when I hooked up my two 80gig IDE drives in IDE slot 1, Windows does not see my two drives. Here is my setup:

Built in raid with one SATA slot and One IDE raid slot with 2 regular IDE slots up top.

Raptor = SATA slot
2 80 gig = IDE slot 1
2 CD roms = IDE slot 2

BOOT order:
Raid/SCSI boot
Floppy
Cdrom
hdd0

I installed windows on the raptor drive and it is screeeeeming fast :attn: and my whole computer is going good except windows does not recognize my 2 80 gig drives. What gives?

Double check your IDE settings in bios.

Perhaps you have one of your IDE channels disabled by some strange occurance.

Maybe it's a bum IDE cable.. :)

Hmmm... other then what Docta_Z said, maybe the discs need to be formated. Are they brand new?

No, they are 6 months old. Both of them are formated using WD lifeguard tools and I formated them as master = boot and slave = extra storage. Do I need to change the jumper settings on the 2 80 gig drives? I got one set to master and the other to slave. The problem is, windsows can not even see the drives so I can not use them.

If they show up in the bios, if you see them on the startup screen, then the ist thing you might try is:

rclick on mycomputer | manage | IDE ATA/ATAPI
then look at your primary and secondary channels\advanced settings and make sure that "devices" are set to auto detect reboot

Also while in computer management check storage | disk management
see what it says

So they do show up in bios? If not check out the jumper settings maybe. Is there an auto select master/slave or something like that setting. Maybe try that. Also, maybe try the find new hardware wizard in windows

shrug

If they don't show in BIOS and you use an 80wire IDE cable, try switch the master and slave connections so that what's normally slave is on the master drive and vice versa.

-LxOxSxI

EDIT: Could you do me a favor and run HD Tach 3.0 on your Raptor and tell me your burst/access time/average read please...

can be found Here

Back