• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling 6800 GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

Wasn't sure if this should go in this section or cooling, but I was just wondering what you guys are using to cool your 6800 GT. Right now I'm debating whether I should spend the money on a DD 6800 waterblock or save some money get the adapter for the 6800 GT from Swiftech and use my old MCW50 waterblock with some Tweakmonster BGA heatsinks. I'm concerned about the size of the Tweakmonster heatsinks because their pretty small and am wondering if it can effectively cool the memory.

Stock cooler on my PNY 6800 shows 53ºc idle and 75ºc full load running rtdribl @ 410/1170. I've heard good things about the silencer4 and will get one of those when it comes out. Man these cards are sooooo nice.

standard ram sinks (the bigger ones, needs more fins than "tweakmonster BGA") are fine

which does not mean the tweakmonster BGA's are fine

i'm using zalman sinks are they're alright, looks a lot like the stock BGF ultra, see the attached picture below

attachment.php

read this: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=316869

Enigma422 said:
Wasn't sure if this should go in this section or cooling, but I was just wondering what you guys are using to cool your 6800 GT. Right now I'm debating whether I should spend the money on a DD 6800 waterblock or save some money get the adapter for the 6800 GT from Swiftech and use my old MCW50 waterblock with some Tweakmonster BGA heatsinks. I'm concerned about the size of the Tweakmonster heatsinks because their pretty small and am wondering if it can effectively cool the memory.

I got the adapter for my MCW50, and have it on my Evga 6800GT, I use chilled water tho,( Aquarium chiller with probe to res, run off a digital controller), and I keep my water temp at 51 to 54f. I run the water to the cpu, then gpu, then Northbridge, and it works great. Temps on vid are 33c core/ 36 ambient while running rthdribl. I have copper ramsinks on it as well. This is at 420/1140. So I guess I would recommend the swiftech on it.

fafnir said:
standard ram sinks (the bigger ones, needs more fins than "tweakmonster BGA") are fine

which does not mean the tweakmonster BGA's are fine

i'm using zalman sinks are they're alright, looks a lot like the stock BGF ultra, see the attached picture below

fafnir;

So you're saying that the Tweakmonster BGA's are not good? If they aren't then which ones should I purchase to cool my memory? I just placed an order for them, but since this is a weekend they have not shipped yet so I think I still have time to cancel the order. Thanks.

Huigie said:
You don't have to cool the memory on the 6800 at all, as it doesn't even get hot.
I disagree with the above statement, my "Ambient" temp,( memory), runs at 28c on my machine, but goes up to 33 to 34c while under full load, so IMHO, yes, 1 does need ramsinks on the ram.

Did a Google search for anyone using the TweakMonster BGA RAMsinks on a 6800GT/Ultra card and I found one person using it at the FutureMark Forums.

I guess I could repharse my question to be more specific, so has anyone here tried using the these particular RAMsinks with their 6800GT or Ultra card. Thanks.

no, get HUGE ram sinks, not those (think surface area here)

Huigie is right though, they don't get hot (look at the radeon x800, same ram, same voltage, no sinks), but ram sinks are still needed, its like saying cars don't need an airbag

they don't need it to run, and they proally don't save a lot of people if they crash,

but it does make a lot of people FEEL better to know that they're there

even if they don't help at all

_

the vantecs are bad, they've got a THICK base

the ocz's are better, though they're also a bit on the small side

though much better than the "tweakmonsters"

you could proally just use your original ram sink before you find suitable new ones, as it is seperate

look for ram sinks that are 2cm x2cm, pure copper, thin base, and also have no less than 10 fins or 30 poles or rods, which every design it is

though alluminum for this is just as good, wouldn't show much

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 151
they're good, though i've had a pair before and:

1. you need to lap them flat, they're not flat (the base)

2. i don't think they're big enough to cover all 8 bga's when cut up, you might wanna simply go and cut up a cheap heatsink instead

but otherwise they're not bad at all, i bought a pair of those way back from the geforce3 era for my geforce3 --> quadro dcc mod before

_

Back