• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I paint plastic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

I already started painting my case, but there are parts of my comp which are plastic and i wana plaint them too. The plastic has texture(bumps) btu i wana make the plastic smooth and slightly shinny if possible. How can i do that?
Thank You in advance.
P.S my metal case is real shinny. I love it!

Well, I would say sand down to 600 grit. What kind of paint are you using? If you are not using Krylon fusion and you want to keep the same color, I would sugest priming it and then sanding down again with 600grit. From there you can spray your color and sand and paint it till you get the finish you want. Have fun and don't use automotive striper on plastic :) . (that was just a side note for future projects)

yeah i was planning to paint it black using ACE enamel sprays. I guess im gona use a primer coat first.

actualy i would go all the way to 1200grit, smooth as a babies bottom! this way you can have the smooth metal and the smooothe plastic, then it will go together, the last thing you want is that plastic sticking out like a sore thumb!

600 grit seems to me to be the largest grit you should use on initial coats, only use the highers on the final coat as the initial coats are repainted anyway.

BTW how long do i wait until the paint dries up for plastic. cos i know that it takes about 6 days for the paint on metal to dry.

Back