• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any possible way of multiplier unlocking your intel cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PipeBom

I have a P3-866 and I've heard somewhere that there may be some way of multiplier unlocking your intel cpu. I think that it involves soldering some stuff onto the cpu. If anyone has heard anything about it could you please tell me, as intel cpu's are loosing out in a big way to amd cpu's.

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to be the guy to tell it, but, In a nutshell, no. Lots of ideas but nobody really seems to actually do it and prove it. The best idea I heard of involved a precisely focused laser beam at an exact spot on the core. Not that I could do that even if it worked :)

Evergreen, the CPU upgrade company seemed to do it on their chips, but I believe it turned out they were old, Katmai chips. Could be wrong on that tho.

It's really too bad, I miss my P2-333, from right before they started locking the multiplier. Ah the good ol days...

Thanks for that. Just wondering if anyone had done it before, or has heard if anyone had done it before. Shame realy. I was also thinking that IF someone managed to do it, then would the mobo bios allow you to change the multiplier frequency? Not too sure, not that it matters.

Actually, most Intel motherboard I've ever used has Adjustments for multiplier- I think they keep it in there just to torture us!

LOL Phantom :)!! I love when those guys come out!

"OK, first you gotta get yer soldering iron, and yer tinfoil space hat. Then, spin the CPU clockwise 3 times..."

Hey send a message to "Mad Butter" he said that he unlocked his celeron 800 and ran it at 1700 no prob air cooled.

LOL, just read the "smoked you all" thread, its so funny.

One of the funniest threads ever! Notice, still no proof or benchmarks despite being asked repeatedly. :)
If only it is true, then we could all benefit:D.

i have unlocked my celeron, i was really anoyed because it wouldn't overclock so i got a hammer and smashed it into little bits, that unlocked it only i couldn't see how far it would got becuse it didn't work

Nope, no way to unlock them. But it is about time for another thread from someone who knows a guy who knows another guy who dated his cousin who is going to give us all detailed instructions any day now :D

I beleive evergreen came up with something to unlock some low class chips.. cyrix maybe.. not sure.. I know one of the senior members picked one up and tryed it out.. was pretty crappy, but was unlocked.. that has to count for something... right??
hehe

Tis a shame that lil pcb circut board they fit the pins through cant slide on a p3 and unlock it too... :)

Now there is an idea..

-Trek

I saw on a site once some people were looking into unlocking P3s. Well they said the multiplier lock is stored in the PROM of the chip. (Programable read only memory) This is done at the last process of making the chip. But they said that the PROM might accually be REPROM (reprogramable PROM) and that might be possible to reprogram the multiplier somehow. They thought this because if demand is more for a certain speed Intel can reprogram the chip to meet the demand.

Well it seems P3s will never be unlocked but who needs to. It just makes overclocking Intel more fun.:D

I stay with Intel because I like a challenge!!:) LOL

After, what 2+ years? of locked Intel CPUs, still nobody knows exactly how the mult. lock actually works except Intel, let alone how to circumvent it. Is it a ROM/EEPROM? Some kind of complex PLL? Does the Intel CEO just wave his hand, and *boom* 7.5X?

We may never know, @$#$!. Hopefully by the time the Pentium 6 or whatever comes out, Intel will have mercy on us hobbyists and just tell us! :D

The eight mystery of the world,
"Where does Intel store the mysterious multiplier lock"

The world may never know. :confused:

Back