• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long has your o/c'd athlon lasted?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

I was just wondering how much of an effect o/c has on the long term life of the athlon cpu. Has anyone have their overclocked and stable cpu just die after extended use at overclock? Or are we talking cutting down the processor life from 6 to 3 years which is of little consequence to most of us as we'll already have upgraded by then.

mikapc said:
I was just wondering how much of an effect o/c has on the long term life of the athlon cpu. Has anyone have their overclocked and stable cpu just die after extended use at overclock? Or are we talking cutting down the processor life from 6 to 3 years which is of little consequence to most of us as we'll already have upgraded by then.
mine has lasted a year with no problems. even at the most extreme conditions your cpu will last 5 years easily. i've heard at stock settings they have a lifespan of something like 25 yers. oc'ing it to the max might cut the life span in half. unless you really feel like keeping your cpu for well over a decade, i say oc that thing. :thup:

ive had my 1700+ overclocked for about a year now with no problems i had a 850mhz athlon about 4 years ago overclocked to 900mhz ( i know its not alot ) and its still going strong lol in one of my mates comps

I also had a 2400+ tbred OC'd for about a year @ 2.2GHz. Ran fine until when swapping it out to upgrade to my mobile i chipped it (stupid me).

About a year OCed from XP1700+ to XP2100+, TBredBs. I had a Duron last over a year (650 OCed to 696 lol).

Hmmm.
I have a few Pally cores that I've had for nearly two years I think....

And I have a couple more that I bought used and have had running for quite some time.

The biggest longevity issue MY chips have is ME.

I experiment sometimes....and have killed a few chips as a result. ;)

2500+ oc'd to 3200+ speeds for a year on air. Just oc'd it further on a cheap wc kit, no problems. Great chip. Only problem is I have that itch again, and need to upgrade.

i have never gone through one myself but the longest one i had was an 0307 2100+ its over a year old when i got it it did 2550 on water at 2.14v temps were 45-50c for about 6 months and it still today runs at [email protected] on air all the time cruching seti and never off. dont worry not many did it dont seem

Back