• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where is all of my hard drive space going?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

furiousfords89

ok starting 2 days ago i noticed that my hard drive space has been dropping, and this is bad news for my 6gb western digital drive. it seems like everytime i log onto the internet i lose 1mb of space, and everytime i get disconnected another 1mb gets stolen when i have to reconnect. yesterday i had 0.99GB left and today i only have 0.97 and it keeps dropping. Is there anything i can do about this besides getting a new hard drive. this is considered my beater comp so i will do a major upgrade on it in the following months, but for now i still have to use this hard drive and comp for a while. I have tried scanning for spyware, defragging, and using disk cleanup and its still the same. So what should i do to stop anymore storage loss?
thanks

When you browse websites, the pages and images get stored in your Temporary Internet Files, you can clear it out easily.
You may want to opt for a bigger drive though.

i clear out my temp files every time but it doesnt seem to free any space, and i dont think it would be worth it getting a bigger drive right now, since this is an old comp w/ a amd t-bird in it. I just want it to last another 5 months and im upgrading

UPDATE: ok i foudn the culprit of this problem..system restore, i disabled it and now i have 1.66 gigs, but am i risking it when i turn off system restore?

Disabling system restore will not harm a running system, but you will not have it as an option if you encounter problems later. However in the system properties dialog in XP Control Panel you can limit the space system restore uses if that helps :)

Back