• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much better is the x800xt than the 6800gt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achilles17

i ask because i have an x800xt on preorder from compusa (ordered it on june 28th and still hasnt come...), but im considering just canceling it so i can get a card sooner. would i be able to find a 6800 ultra, and if so how much better is it than the gt, considering the gt can flash to ultra. im gonna wait till i hear from compusa when my order might come, but if its another month, should i just give up on it and go for a gt or ultra (if i can find one) or is it worth it to wait it out?

Achilles17 said:
i ask because i have an x800xt on preorder from compusa (ordered it on june 28th and still hasnt come...), but im considering just canceling it so i can get a card sooner. would i be able to find a 6800 ultra, and if so how much better is it than the gt, considering the gt can flash to ultra. im gonna wait till i hear from compusa when my order might come, but if its another month, should i just give up on it and go for a gt or ultra (if i can find one) or is it worth it to wait it out?

WAIT!

the x800xt is far better than any card nvidia had right now! just check the specs on newegg...

actually the XT and the Ultra are pretty equal it just depends on which benchmarks are done. Bascially the Ultra vs. XT is more of a preference. As for XT vs GT I would say XT outperforms it since the GT is more of a competitor for the X800pro in which its a pretty close race as well, but the GT runs a little hotter and uses a little more power. Now if you are planning to play DOOM 3 for example the 6800 series will generally due a better job with it because Nvidia cards always do well in OpenGL based software.

in my researching i've found that the 6800GT holds it own fairly well in directx trading places with the x800pro regularly. however when you consider how well the 6800GT does compared to even the x800xt in opengl it seems to me the 6800GT is the clear card to have.

visual quality is a wash. drivers are a wash. not sure about noise. i've heard some people say their 6800gt is loud while others say its nearly silent so i don't know who to believe.

Nightingale said:
actually the XT and the Ultra are pretty equal it just depends on which benchmarks are done. Bascially the Ultra vs. XT is more of a preference. As for XT vs GT I would say XT outperforms it since the GT is more of a competitor for the X800pro in which its a pretty close race as well, but the GT runs a little hotter and uses a little more power. Now if you are planning to play DOOM 3 for example the 6800 series will generally due a better job with it because Nvidia cards always do well in OpenGL based software.
i agree completely with your post. :)

hmm...it seems like the majority of games are dx9 and not opengl, in which case i should wait. only reason i asked about the gt was because a) it out preformed the x800xt in doom 3, but i guess thats because its opengl, and b) because if it can flash to ultra it should be similar. but i see why it would be more of a competetor for the x800 pro. btw noise is not a factor, i already got a 92mm tornado in there so under load that would definitly be louder than everything else. psu isnt a factor either as i got a 550w antec true power. any other suggestions?

oh, incase there is a difference, the card i have preordered is the x800xt Platinum. dunno of theres a non platinum, but whatever, just thought id clarify. cant contact compusa till tomorrow tho to find out its status...

well the directx vs opengl is only going to get more heated with HL2 (dx) and D3 (ogl) engines coming out so close to each other. many games will be based off of each of them so i feel opengl performance is more important than ever. in the past dx has had a huge lead in # of games especially the high profile ones, but this is no longer going to be true from here on.

Achilles17 said:
oh, incase there is a difference, the card i have preordered is the x800xt Platinum. dunno of theres a non platinum, but whatever, just thought id clarify. cant contact compusa till tomorrow tho to find out its status...
the plain x800xt is pci-express

the x800xt-pe is agp

we knew what you meant ;)

well at stock speeds the X800pro and GT are pretty close. When you start overclocking both then I am not sure where that goes. The GT seems like it can go to ultra speeds and the X800pro I have seen go as high as 600mhz on the core, but with serious modifications in both cooling and volt modding. The 6800GT can be volt modded in the bios I believe so you may want to consider that to. Either way you can't lose with any of the mentioned cards since you have a higher chance of the CPU becoming a bottle neck then the card not being able to keep up. I think there is a thread on GT modding to Ultra in the Nvidia section you may want to check out. Oh one last thing is that there is also the X800pro Vivo edition which can be bios flashed to XT(enables the extra 4 pipes without hardmodding) and it seems pretty reliable but mind you nothing is ever 100% sure bet. Just some things for you think ponder. As I mentioned earlier in the post its completely preference IMO.

cpu wont be TOO much of a bottleneck, i have my 3.0C runnin at 3.8 stable (SL6WU), 32 idle 37 load about (SP94+Tornado).

Maxvla said:
well the directx vs opengl is only going to get more heated with HL2 (dx) and D3 (ogl) engines coming out so close to each other. many games will be based off of each of them so i feel opengl performance is more important than ever. in the past dx has had a huge lead in # of games especially the high profile ones, but this is no longer going to be true from here on.

I think you nailed that one on the head.

more importantly

Doom 3 = typically a bit better on NVIDIA
Half Life 2 = typically a bit better on ATI (not sure if that's true but probably)

both video cards will run well on both though

Back