• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linear scaling of the p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro*Banshee

Forgive me if this has been asked before, (I used the search function to no avail), but if I keep lowering the temperature of my p4 (my 3.0 can hit 3.9 with my bong @ 40c load, 1.7v), can I get higher? I know my ram is probably the major bottleneck right now. (pc2700, got this wonderful samsung stick to hit 245 @ 3.3v)

But onto my question, does the overclockability of the P4 scaled with not the voltage, but how cool you can get it?

I notice some of the 4ghz+ guys are just running on 1.6 volts!

The fast boys are using phase change cooling for sub-zero temps, so cooling does help to a point. However, with watercooling at a cool 40 load temp and a high vcore of 1.7v, it sure looks like you are done.

so it's not like AMD? you push it as fast as your heat allows?

(edit)I would have thought that 40c load temps would lend themselves to increased voltage to the processor for higher speeds?

or am I applying the wrong school of thought to the intel brethren of processors?(/edit)

Last edited:
simply yep!your ram is limiting you to such a low figer even at the 3:2 ratio get some pc 4000 corsair or ocz ram then u'll b flyng at 1:1 speeds wid hugh bandwidth

Phil

With AMD, as long as you kept them cool, you could keep cranking the vcore. The P-4 can degrade over time if you run above 1.7v. I generally don't exceed 1.65v for long term.

Back