• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOOM3 guys... Is it worth an upgrade??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Donatron

I refused to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my computer for a game that hasn't even come out yet.. Now that it's out, is playing the game in high detail really worth spending all that money?... Or are we better off saving our money and playing the game at medium or low settings?? Sure there will be other games in the future that have high demands (like HL2) but by the time those games come out, video card prices will have dropped...

Current rig:
Athlon XP 2500+ o/c'd @ 3500+
1GB PC3200 RAM
ATI Radeon 9500Pro o/c'd @ 360/300

If I upgrade, it'll be a MSI Radeon 9800Pro flashed to 9800XT

So ya, is it THAT good that it justifies a $200 upgrade?...

There are (well, were) 16 individual threads in the Games forum talking about this; it all boils down to one person's opinion: yours.

Play the game with your current hardware. If you can't stand it, upgrade. If you can't tell the difference, save your money for all the extra pizza and beer you'll be consuming while playing ;)

My Radeon 9500Pro is at 324/300 and its only playable at 1024x768 if there's no enemies, for best performance set it to 800x600 @ medium quality.
on a 9800Pro/XT you will be able to run smooth at 1024x768, so decide for yourself.

Back