• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with my GF4 ti4200 and EA Games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buddha1822

I have a Gainward GF4 ti4200 64mb that I bought a while ago, maybe a year or so... and it has ran extremely great until I did a reinstall of Windows and reinstalled all kindas games from scratch. Those all ran fine, but then all of a sudden (was when I went to a LAN) whenever I launched an EA Games game, the lil intro vid ("EA Games, challenge everything") would run EXTREMELY slow, like, 1 frame per 20 seconds... and I tested it on all of the EA games I have, CCG, BF1942, BFV, all do the same... the games seem to play ok once I've waited to get in them, but it's a *****!

So today I was trying to get this fixed... I upgraded to directx 9.0c and then ran 3dmark2001SE to test it and overclock a bit, and I got 7000 or so points! This is horrible for that card and my sys (2800+ @ 2.4ghz)... So now I don't know if it is something hardware with the card or still some sort of video issue, I really don't know!

Is there any suggestions/ideas?? I've reinstalled the drivers and directx now, no change... I'm in the process of reinstalling the games, and check to see if that fixes... I was looking at all that "pink screen" thing with Gainward GF4's but I dont' know cause I've NEVER had a pink screen.... I am just so lost... Maybe the game reinstall will help, but I don't know?? Any suggestions anyone?! (BTW all the start up vids in BFV run slow) oh yeh and it's not the "video playing component" in the card, cause I've watched a few DVDs recently and not a single prob at all with those...

Maybe it was an older driver that you were using before. Most say they are backwards compatible, but then again some are better at it than others.

If that doesnt work, try the Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net. I use those for my current cards, and once I get my G4 Ti 4600 in, I will try with that one also.

I was just going to install the Omega drivers. I forgot that there was even a Nvidia Omega driver, but yah... do I have to do any uninstalling of the old Nvidia driver?? I really don't want to... Whenever I uninstall them, it screws it all up cause of all the drivers integrated with the NForce2 mobo and then I have a special tool called EXPERTool that has all kinda nifty features incl. simple overclocking that I dont' wanna lose ability to use... meh...

what the hell... I just installed the Omega drivers (over top of the old nvidia ones)... and it seems... ok... booting into Windows, was worried about some sorta corruption without uninstalling old one... but I tried booting into BFV and again it has the same problem, but it seems to at least display a bit quicker, and not take 10 mins to go slowly thru... but it still does it... I don't know now... should I try going back and uninstalling the old drivers too?

ANYTHING from anyone?? please??? any help at all??

Last edited:
Try using the driver cleaner from Driverheaven.net. It should only go after the Nvidia display drivers and not your mobo drivers. Once you use the DC and a clean install of the drivers(Omega or whatever you want), it should run ok.

Are you running at AGP 4x or PCI? I found my 4200 running at PCI speed due to not having the motherboard drivers installed.

Bios24 said:
Are you running at AGP 4x or PCI? I found my 4200 running at PCI speed due to not having the motherboard drivers installed.

That is a very good point. Had this also happen to my AGP card. Make sure you reinstall those mobo drivers also.

hmmm ok.... I'm thinking of just totally uninstalling and reinstall all of the nvidia drivers...

The damn mobo drivers are the most complicated. First off, I don't ever know if the ones that I DL from the Nvidia website work at all as full installs from scratch... second off, whenever I uninstall all of the drivers and reboot, it does the "auto-find" and because I just uninstalled all of the IDE drivers, RAM drivers, USB drivers, and everything, it re-finds TONS of new hardware crap, and before I can stop anything, it does the auto-driver-install on ALL of it and screws up EVERYTHING... And then when I try the reinstall over-top using the DLed Nvidia Nforce driver set, it seems to make things that much more worse!

That's why I'm a little bit shabby on reinstalling all the mobo drivers from scratch...

Ok, try disconnecting your rig from the internet. Then use your CD(or DLed drivers) to install the new drivers. When your rig is still hooked up, it will go look for them itself.

Oh, before you go uninstalling everything. Check in the Nvidia properties to see if it is being run as a PCI card and not an AGP.

I just reinstalled every little thing and did all the Nvidia cleaners and all... still says its in PCI Bus 2, I'm using the Omega drivers... hmmm... let me see about performance and all now (running games/3dmark)

EDIT: awwwwwwwwwww it's a RELIEF to finally see smooth graphix again omg woohoo!! rejoice!! :clap: thank you so much for your help guys!!

12000 points in 3dmark2001SE this time... back to normal

Last edited:
Back