• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm in some serious need of assistance!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mshow4444

Hey all whats up. I'm in some serious need of help.

I just built my first PC about 3 weeks ago and it was running very smoothly for about a week, except it would shut itself down at random times, and then start itself right back up.

And then about a week and a half ago the computer would not even boot up. I would press the power switch and it would check the configurations for about one minute and then it automatically shuts down. My specs are below....please someone rescue me from this nightmare... :(

Aspire X-Infinity Case with 350ATX PSU
Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor
2 X 512 mb Corsair XMS memory
200 GB maxtor Harddrive
Sony DRU-530A DVD R/RW drive
Sony CD ROM
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO videocard

Please someone help me :( :( :(

Temps in Bios? Voltages in bios?

I dunno what sort of PSU the aspires come with, but if its shoddy that could definitely be the culprit... The random shutdowns could be a result of the removeable disc drives spinning up and causing voltage inconsistencies.

If your overclocked, go back to stock to eliminate that variable. ;)

Yea it is pretty much all stock right now, i'm not overclocking anything becuase this is my first PC and quite frankly i hvae no clue how to overclock, lol i'm just tryin to get it up and running first. The case came with the 350 psu. i have no clue if it's shoddy lol but i do know that when i check the program that came with my ASUS mobo, it tells me that it cannot read the fan speed of the PSU for some reason.

And if you have AIM i'd like to chat a lil more about it, Could you post your name for me? or send me a PM

My AIM is in my profile (button under my post), but I steal seconds between things at work, so IM doesn't work well for me... Plus I like solving problems on the forums so that others may learn from them. That's why us forum flies hang out here. :)

Check your BIOS for voltage readings and let me know what they read please. :)

Asus probe will not report PSU readings unless you have the fan speed connector plugged into a mobo header. ;)

You could also just try disconnecting your removeable media drives, and test to see if that eliminates the shutdown issue. I really think its a voltage thing... Looking up your case quickly on google, I didn't see a brand listed for your PSU, so I'm guessing its generic and junk, and you need to upgrade. Just a guess at this point though.

Well aside from the fact that you're posting about a P4 system in an AMD section, I think your problem is temps. I may be wrong as I don't use Intel, but you may not have seated the HSF right. check to see if it is ok and then come back

Back