• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 Pirated En Masse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm so they are gonna fine 50,000 people?? It would be funny if they had somekind of software in the game that when downloaded it would report that comps ip and pinpoint its location..and thats how they are gonna fine every one. Would be crazy.

They will most likely just wait for the morons to try to connect to the Multi servers, could get everything that they needed to start with from just that.

I hope they are all killed in a fire. Stupid people who would pirate a game like this, burn them all, burn them all to the ground.

It's like catching every person that downloaded the HL2 source, not possible, really sucks though, I've never been a fan of piracy, especially video games.

I don't know why, but I think that iD could have done more to prevent that piracy.

First, they know how many people are awaiting to release of this game, so with that in mind, they should know that some of those people know how to use the internet. If they can get the game for free days before it comes out, then why would they wait to spend $55?

If stores just have them in the back waiting for stock, they don't think that someone will take one an put it online? They should know better.

I for one will be at the shops the moment its realeased here. When so much time and money have been put into something, its only fair to buy it.
Lets hope that online play will require a Genuine CD key, and most of the ppl who DLed the game will have to but it, in order to go online. ;)

oo_7

Who saw this coming the moment Doom3's existance was confirmed?

*raises hand*

Come on, get 'em up, don't tell me you didn't predict this too.

For one it's Doom3. What do you think people are going to do with a sequel to the first real FPS ever? Second, the game hasn't been released officially yet, and on top of that, it still won't be available until the 7th in alot of places. People want to play this damn game. They've waited this long, they're not going to wait any longer if they can get it right now.

Thirdly (illegitimate reason in my opinion, but people do justify piracy with this) the game costs 60 bucks. UT2004 cost me $35, and most of the games I own were $20 or less. Last time I paid $50 for a game was in January of '03, with SimCity4. That was a mistake. I don't buy games now until they've aged at least a month.

Lastly, demos no longer seem to do their full version counterparts justice. For example, the UT2003 demo was just about the buggiest "game" I have ever tried. It wouldn't even run on my VooDoo5, I had to wait for a demo patch to be released. This was all before the actual game was even released.

When it was released, UT2003 was somewhat more polished, but still had some bugs lying around. After a few months the game worked itself up to v2199, and was looking very nice... but the demo was still using the old build, the original build, the one that required the patch. Someone who played the demo and someone who played the full version before buying the game would have two very different opinions about UT2003.

Disclaimer: no, I'm not downloading Doom3, no, I'm not telling you download Doom3, no, I'm not defending pirates, and my sig doesn't apply to this thread. Fin.

Hi, I'm threadwatching! :)

Let's keep this one good, ok? No talk of downloading, where to download, or how to download.

We all know the no warez policy :)

I think this could have been prevented by ID. They should have provided a sweet demo for people to try before they buy - the legal way. Nope, I'm not downloading the pirate version, but neither do I have the cash to buy the real game. I just wish they would have put out a demo before the game came out. O well, hopefully I got the funds before Half-Life 2 comes out.

L>MS said:
They will most likely just wait for the morons to try to connect to the Multi servers, could get everything that they needed to start with from just that.

I hope they are all killed in a fire. Stupid people who would pirate a game like this, burn them all, burn them all to the ground.

if you are serious about your answer, you need a shrink.

A guy at school had a downloaded Doom 3 (not the alpha) the other day. I told him to go screw himself, mine is one its way and its legal reatil version. :)

I hate those mooches...

Perhaps a lower price woulda prevented some of it. $50 is a bit pricey for me and im sure many others. Now this wouldn't have prevented all of it because of course people want it asap but the price had it's fair share of effect on the piracy im sure.

I coulda told you this last week, id much rather have the box and the real CD, and word on the street is in a few weeks the games gonna come with a poster!

Yep, i just picked this game up. It's worth every penny. I want id to prosper because of this game, it's really great so far. I love my local EB for selling it a day early too. :p

Yeah it's not right. These people spend years and tons of money and resources working on this game. They deserve their money.

For alot of us, me included, Doom3 is more of a religious experience. Doom was the FIRST game I ever really got hooked on with my OLD pc. I can remember many hours of playtime "bare booting" my old pc just so it could run. Then I would play and my parents would get freaked out looking at the pentagrams and wutnot.

ID deserves a bit more respect than they are being given by these downloaders. I hope that a good number of them are caught and fined.

And for those of you complaining about prices... come on. Are you buying games left and right that you cant afford a game that is $5 over the normal $49.99 mark? I dont know about you guys, but I dont buy a whole lot of games, so I can justify shelling out a few bucks on something that looks incredibly promising. Especially spending money on something such as Doom3.

It took me almost exactly 2 hours of work to save the money up for Doom3. Thats another way I can justify this. Thats almost no time at all.

Back