• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xfx Nividia Geforce FX5200 vs Power Color ATI 9200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxa

I know these are not high performance video cards, however it's for a PC without an AGP slot. So my question is which card do you think is better?

I'm leaning towards the ATI because it has a faster clock rate, however the literature indicates that it's compatible with Directx 8.1 and does not mention Directx 9.0. Do I need to worry about that?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

the ati 9200 does not support dx9.0 that means that in some games you won't be able to see all the eyecandy that cames with it, the fx5200 does support dx9.0 but it's almost not fast enough to run dx9.0 games anyway. I used to have an fx5200 but the only game with dx9.0 that I could play was NFSU, when I tried Halo it would get a huge fps drop every once in a while depending what was on the screen.

wow you could run nfsu? I couldn't and nfshp2 @ 1024x768 would drop constantly. Anyway another vote for the ATI Card

my 5200 runs Far Cry on low settings just fine...its an agp card though.

my fx5200 AGP run NFSU at medium setting but not that smooth still playable, i haven't experience with ATI 9200 so i am not sure which is better.

I'm an ATI fan because I feel their cards offer better image quality, so I'd probably go with the 9200. The fx5200 does support DX9, but as was mentioned already, it doesn't have the muscle to run DX9 games the way they were meant to be run.

dicecca112 said:
wow you could run nfsu? I couldn't and nfshp2 @ 1024x768 would drop constantly. Anyway another vote for the ATI Card
But mine was an agp with 128bit memory bandwidth.

i had a ati 9200 (that my friend lost), i didn't like it much. I dont know about 5200. 9200 was a little bit laggy when i played Wolfenstein Enemy Territory(my favorite game) at high res. I did get 5600 and it worked great with that game. now i have a 9800 it is a lot better than the other ones i previously had.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and it looks like the ATI card is the way to go. Thanks again.

I was able to run nfsu with 1024x768 resolution and highest settings but it wouldn't run smooth all the time some times I would experience some slowdowns but I never ran nfs:hp2 so I don't know how it would have been like with it. But after I got the 9800pro I noticed how crappy that card was, when I got it I didn't really know anything about computer so I didn't know that I was wasting my money.

Back